Corridor event to help seniors prevent falls
CORALVILLE, Iowa (CBS2/FOX28) —
Every 19 minutes, an older adult in the U.S. dies from a fall. In Iowa, the death rate from falls is higher than the national average.
A Falls Prevention Awareness Health and Resource Fair will take place Friday, September 21 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Coralville Radisson Hotel and Conference Center.
The free event is hosted by Johnson County Livable Community, the Visiting Nurse Association, and University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC) Trauma Program. Last year alone, UIHC saw 812 patients who suffered severe trauma from falls while standing.
Below is a list of aging services in Johnson County.
The fair will include the following:
• 45 resource displays highlighting services for seniors
• Blood pressure checks
• Senior fitness screenings
• Flu shots (bring insurance card)
• Osteoporosis screening
• Medication education by a pharmacist
(bring a list of your current medications)
• Light refreshments
• Door prizes: Including a free meal and a one night stay at the Radisson
• Handicap-accessible building