CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (CBS2/FOX28) — The Cedar Rapids Police Department says they've seen an increase in reports of fake money meant for movies being used throughout the city.
Movie money typically has the words "FOR MOTION PICTURE USE ONLY" on the paper. CRPD says to look for red and blue fibers embedded throughout the bill and watermarks to ensure the bill is real.
If someone tries to give what you suspect to be a counterfeit bill to your or your business, CRPD recommends the following tips from the Secret Service.
- Do not put yourself in danger.
- Do not return the bill to the passer.
- Delay the passer with some excuse, if possible.
- Observe the passer's description - and their companions' descriptions - and write down their vehicle license plate numbers if you can.
- 5Contact the Cedar Rapids Police Department at (319) 286-5491.
- DO NOT handle the counterfeit note. Place it inside a protective cover, a plastic bag, or envelope to protect it until you place it in the hands of a Police Officer. Surrender the note or coin ONLY to a properly identified police officer.