CBS 2 - Search Results
Iowa City Opens "Cool-Down Shelters"
IOWA CITY, IA (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- The National Weather Service has issued an excessive heat advisory for the area today, Tuesday, July 22, from noon through 7 p.m. Very warm temperatures and high humidity will result in heat index readings reaching a range of 100 to 105 degrees during the afternoon hours.
Several City of Iowa City facilities are available if residents need a place to cool off:
* The Robert A. Lee Recreation Center, 220 S. Gilbert Street, and Scanlon Gymnasium/Mercer Park Aquatic Center, 2701 Bradford Drive, offer air conditioning as well as a variety of indoor recreational opportunities. Weekday hours are 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. at the Robert A. Lee Recreation Center and 6:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. at Scanlon/Mercer.
* The City's pools and splash pads also provide opportunities to cool down. Open swim hours during the week are as follows:
Robert A. Lee Pool: Open from 1 to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, with an additional swim time of 6 to 8 p.m. on Friday and 1 to 6 p.m. on Saturday.
City Park Pool: Open all week from 1 to 5 p.m., with Twilight Swim (reduced fee of $2) from 5 to 8 p.m.
Mercer Park Pool: Open 1 to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 1 to 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
* Splash pads: The splash pads in Wetherby Park, 2400 Taylor Drive, and Fairmeadows Park, 2500 Miami Drive, offer a cool respite. They're open daily until 8 p.m. for no fee.
* The Public Library, 123 S. Linn Street, is also a great place to cool off. Residents can get started on a terrific book or check out the variety of other materials available. Library hours are 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday.
* The Senior Center, 28 S. Linn Street, is open to the general public between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Visitors can learn about the many programs available for seniors, read a magazine or grab a book from the book exchange, watch a free movie on Friday afternoon, or enjoy lunch prepared by Elder Services from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Cost for lunch is $4 for people over 60 and $5 for those under 60.
For more information, contact Communications Coordinator Shannon McMahon at 319-356-5058.