CBS 2 - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Grass fire injures 1

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (CBS 2/Fox 28) -- A waste burn quickly got out of control late this morning after being fanned by high winds.

Firefighters responded to the field fire at 11:40 this morning on St. Patricks Road near Wright Brothers Blvd.  Authorities say the waste was being burned by David Grolmus on property owned by his parents, Tim and Margo Grolmus of Swisher.

The fire caused authorities to close Wright Brothers Blvd between Lefebure Road and Highway 151 for about an hour while they got the blaze under control.

One injury was reported due to the fire.  Alicia Gillen, 19 of Walford, was injured when the vehicle she was in lost control in the dense smoke on Wright Brothers Blvd left the road.

Her vehicle was not damaged, but Gillen was injured when she stepped out of the vehicle into the ditch.  Her injury was minor.

Grolmus did have a valid burn permit at the time of the fire.

The fire remains under investigation by the Linn County Sheriff's Office.
Advertise with us!
Brought to you by:
Brought to you by:

Washington Times