Are you a journalism major looking for a scholarship opportunity? Submit your application today for your chance to win $500 on behalf of the Dave Shay - CBS2 Broadcast Journalism Scholarship. See official rules for details.
Download the application form below and mail required documents to:
ATTN: Promotions Dave Shay Scholarship
600 Old Marion Rd. NE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
KGAN / DAVE SHAY CBS2 BROADCAST JOURNALISM SCHOLARSHIP CONTEST RULES
Contest: Dave Shay - CBS2 Broadcast Journalism Scholarship
Station: Sinclair Communications, LLC dba KGAN
Station Address: KGAN, 600 Old Marion Road NE, Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52402
Contest Area: Iowa Counties: Allamakee, Benton, Blackhawk, Bremer, Buchanan, Butler. Cedar. Chickasaw, Clayton, Delaware, Dubuque, Fayette, Grundy, Iowa, Johnson, Jones, Keokuk, Linn, Tama, Washington and Winneshiek.
Age of Eligibility: Must be a Junior or Senior in College attending a fully accredited nonprofit or public college or university in Iowa who are full-time journalism students seeking a career in broadcast journalism, maintaining at least a “B” grade point average, and residing in the KGAN/KFXA viewing area.
Sponsor(s): The Greater Cedar Rapids Community Foundation
Prize Provider(s): The Greater Cedar Rapids Community Foundation
Contest Period: June 1, 2017 to September 15, 2017
Entries Due: 5:00 P.M. CDT on August 15, 2017
Entry is limited to one (1) entry per contestant.
Winner Selection Date(s): September 15, 2017
Number of Winners on each Winner Selection Date(s): One (1)
Total Number of Winners for the Contest Period: One (1)
Prize(s) and Value(s): One (1) Five Hundred Dollar ($500.) scholarship paid on the winner’s behalf to the winner’s college/university from the Dave Shay – CBS2 Broadcast Journalism Scholarship Fund of the Greater Cedar Rapids Community Foundation. Value of Prize is $500.
Station’s Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/kgancbs2
Station’s Website: www.cbs2iowa.com
Station’s Website Terms and Conditions: http://cbs2iowa.com/station/terms
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
All capitalized terms shall have the meanings set forth above.
Who Can Enter
1. To be eligible to participate in the Contest, entrants must be U.S. residents who are at least the Age of Eligibility, reside in the Contest Area, a Junior or Senior full-time journalism student currently attending a fully accredited nonprofit or public college or university in Iowa seeking a career in broadcast journalism, and maintaining at least a “B” grade point average.
2. Employees of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., Sinclair Television Group, Inc., and the Station (collectively, the “Company”), Sponsors, Prize Providers, contest software providers, social media platforms, their affiliated companies, advertising and promotion agencies, any and all local television broadcast and cable stations, local radio and other media companies, and the immediate family members of each are ineligible. The term “immediate family” includes spouses, domestic partners, grandparents, parents, siblings, children, grandchildren, and any other relatives who reside in the same household with employee.
How to Enter and Win
1. The scholarship application will be available from June 1, 2017 to August 15, 2017. The scholarship application can be downloaded at www.cbs2iowa.com or it may be picked up at the Station: KGAN, 600 Old Marion Road NE, Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
2. Each entrant must complete and submit the scholarship application as well as submit the following required documents:
a. verification of entrant’s enrollment as a Junior or Senior attending a fully accredited nonprofit or public college or university in Iowa;
b. a copy of entrant’s most recent academic transcript;
c. a one-page typed essay about the entrant’s journalism career goals;
d. two letters of recommendation (one from a professor and one from an academic advisor);
e a copy of applicant’s EFC from FAFSA (the one-page Statement of Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) from your completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Do not include the entire FAFSA application.);
f. copies of published work and/or videos in which the entrant appeared and wrote scripts; and
g. a list of entrant’s extracurricular and/or community activities.
3. After August 15, 2017, all entry applications will be reviewed and evaluated by a panel of three (3) judges comprised of Station and Sponsor personnel based on (i) essay (50%); (ii) published work or video (15%); (iii) letters of recommendation (12.5%); (iv) extra-curricular activities (12.5%); and (v) financial need (10%). One (1) winner will be chosen by the judges based on the criteria set forth above. The decision of the judges shall be final. The winner will also be determined on a non-discriminatory basis consistent with national public and IRS policies. Final approval of the winner will be by the Board of Directors of the Greater Cedar Rapids Community Foundation.
4. The Station and Sponsor reserve the right to not to select a winner in the event sufficient entries are not received.
Contest Terms and Conditions
1. Station is not responsible for lost, late, garbled, or misdirected entries, printing errors, server unavailability, computer or any other electronic malfunction. All entries, including any required submission, received that are duplicate, mutilated, tampered with, incorrect, illegible, or from ineligible entrants will be void. All entries, including any required submission, become the property of the Company and will not be acknowledged or returned.
2. Station cannot be held liable for any lost or stolen entries, prizes or contest information. Station is not responsible for any technological malfunction, or human error relating to the Contest.
3. Prizes are provided “as is” without any express or implied warranty of any kind including warranties of merchantability, non-infringement or intellectual property, or fitness for any particular purpose. Prizes are subject to the Sponsor(s) and/or Prize Provider(s) standard terms and conditions, and expiration dates. For any ticket related prizes, Station, Sponsor(s) and Prize Provider(s) are not responsible if any event or performance is cancelled or postponed.
4. The winner will be notified by phone, and an award letter with scholarship agreement will be mailed to the winner by the Greater Cedar Rapids Community Foundation. Before claiming any prize, each winner must provide his/her correct name, address and telephone number to Station at the time of notification. Each winner must sign and return a release and affidavit of eligibility, which must be received within three (3) days of notification (or less due to prize use time constraints), at the time winner claims his/her prize. Each winner must show picture identification to claim his/her prize. Station reserves the right to examine additional identification and may choose to accept or deny awarding any prize based on the identification presented. After the signed scholarship agreement, release, and affidavit of eligibility are returned, the scholarship will be paid on the winner’s behalf. If the winner cannot be notified within thirty (30) days, or does not timely sign and return the scholarship agreement, then the scholarship will be forfeited, and an alternate winner will be determined by the judges, as determined by the judges in their sole and absolute discretion.
5. There will be no substitutions or cash alternatives for any prize except at the sole discretion of Station. The Station has the right to substitute a prize of similar value. No sale, transfer or assignment of any prize is allowed.
6. Each winner is responsible for paying all local, county, state and federal taxes on prizes based on the estimated retail value of the prizes as set forth in these rules. Each winner must sign a W-9 form.
7. Only one prize will be awarded per household if more than one prize is awarded. Entrants are eligible to win only one prize within any 90-day period, regardless of the number of contests entered.
8. The Company is not liable if the provider of any part of a prize fails to satisfy its obligations to furnish its portion of the prize.
9. The Company, Sponsor(s), and Prize Provider(s) accept no responsibility or liability in connection with any injuries, losses or damages of any kind directly or indirectly caused by or resulting from the acceptance, possession or use of any prize awarded in the Contest. By entering, entrants agree to release the Company, Sponsor(s), Prize Provider(s), contest software providers, social media platforms, and each of their respective parent, affiliates, officers, directors, employees and agents, from any and all claims, loss, damage or injury as a result of or incident to his/her participation in the Contest or his/her use of the prize. Entrants further acknowledge and agree that if a winner, the Company has the right to publicize entrant’s name, character, likeness, photograph, voice and the fact that entrant is a winner of the Contest for promotional purposes, without financial remuneration.
10. Complete Official Rules for the Contest are available Monday through Friday during normal business hours at the Station and on the Station’s Website. For a list of prize winners, send a separate, self-addressed, stamped envelope to the Station at the Station Address within thirty (30) days of the last day of the Contest Period.
11. The Station has the right to disqualify any entrant it determines has not complied with the Contest Rules. All decisions by the Station shall be final and binding relating to this contest, including the interpretation of the Contest Rules. Station reserves the right to make rules and contest changes and change the contest dates. Station reserves the right to cancel/terminate, modify or suspend the Contest if in Station’s sole determination it believes that the integrity of the Contest has been, or could be, compromised or that the Contest is not capable of running as planned or fairly, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or force majeure or any other causes beyond the Station’s control.