MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Nate Boulton suspends campaign for Iowa Governor

Nate Boulton

State Senator and democratic candidate for governor Nate Boulton announced Thursday morning that he has suspended his gubernatorial campaign.

Boulton has been accused of sexual misconduct by three women.

The women told the Des Moines Register that Boulton made inappropriate sexual contact with them, dating back to his days in law school at Drake in 2002, with the latest accusation taking place in 2015.

"These last 48 hours have been trying. I again offer an apology to those whom I have harmed in any way," Boulton said in a statement released Thursday morning.


"It is my hope there is some positive that can come from this moment as we strive to be the better people we can be in the coming days, weeks, months, and years. I know that will be my task moving on from here.”

There are now calls from democratic and republican party leaders for Boulton to resign from his seat in the Iowa Senate.

Republican Party of Iowa Chairman Jeff Kaufmann previously called on Boulton to resign when the allegations first surfaced.

Thursday morning, Senate Minority Leader Janet Petersen also called on him to step down.

"Sexual harassment is unacceptable whether it occurs in a social or professional setting. What we have learned in the last 24 hours makes it clear to me that Senator Boulton should also resign his position in the Iowa Senate," Petersen said in a statement.

“If he chooses not to do so, I will support a full, independent investigation into allegations against him."

Boulton has not denied the accusations but said he had a different memory of the events.

“Regardless of the difference in my memory or the context of the situation, it is not my place to disqualify what these women felt at the time or in hindsight. While this is an embarrassing conversation for me to have today, I think it is important we have it, and I hope young men can learn about gauging conduct in social settings and continue to learn about and engage in the discussion,” Boulton said.

In his absence, five people are now running for the democratic nomination for governor. You can read their responses to the allegations here.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending