House fire destroys Swisher home
SWISHER, Iowa (CBS2/FOX28) —
Fire crews were called to1510 Ridge Top Drive in Swisher for a chimney fire just after 6:00 p.m. New Year’s Day.
Jefferson-Monroe (Swisher) Fire Chief, Glen Heims, says everyone was out of the home before crews arrived.
Subzero temperatures created additional challenges, Heims says equipment and firefighters were freezing up like popsicles and sand trucks were on scene to help deal with the ice conditions.
The home is in a rural area without municipal water, so all the water had to be trucked in from several miles away.
8 departments responded, but Heims says the home is a total loss.
“When we arrived we went in and tried to make an attack on the fire and had difficulties with it because it was already advanced up into the attic,” says Heims. “Given the timeframe and the distance from the station it was already far enough into the roof that we were having trouble with the roof and had to pull crews back out until we got the fire knocked down better,” he adds.
Heims also says the Red Cross was called to help the family. A GoFundMe page has been established for the family.