- Your Voice, Your Future Townhall: Connects Against Crime
- Oxford Gas Leak Prompts Evacuations
- UI Sexual Assault Report Increase
- Standlee Pleads Not Guilty
- Fire Happened "In the Blink of an Eye"
- Missing Cobra Found
- Hajj Death Toll Skyrockets
- Gov. Branstad Visits Marion
- JOCO Health Officials Draft Report
- Selena Gomez Battling Lupus
- McCarthy Withdraws from GOP Speaker Race
- North Liberty Company Expanding
- France Train Hero Stabbed in CA
- Iowa Fashion Project Launch Party at FilmScene
- Fugitive With Ties to Iowa on the Run
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate Carly Fiorina on Russia, Putin and other Republicans
- Privatizing Medicaid Savings Estimated
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate John Kasich on Syria, Russia and ACA
- No-kill Shelter Raffling off Gun
- Prison Officials Considering Tech Upgrades
- Dems Preparing Legislation to Curb Guns
- Clinton Turns Benghazi Ad To Her Side
- Coast Guard Ends Search For Crew
- Charges Filed After SUV Hits Home
- Fill the Boot Check Presentation
- Mayflower Hall Brings Back IOWA Tradition
- Iowa's Best Tasting Water Is In...
- Increase in Population, Increase in Violence?
- Iowa City Music Tradition Uncertain Future
- Created in the Corridor: Light Awake
- RAYGUN Coming to Cedar Rapids
- Trump in Waterloo
- Tronca Sentenced to Life in Prison
- Quite a Journey for Shellsburg Family Car
- Clinton Opposes Pacific Rim Trade Deal
- Chrome Horse Conversion Gains Support
- Details of Oregon Gunman's Death Revealed
- Clinton Flexes Muscles to GOP
- Clinton Gun Control Plans
- UI Research Has Worldwide Impact
- New UI President Plans Outreach Events
- House Conservatives Oppose McCarthy
- CR Man Charged After Police Chase
- Back Porch Revival Tickets on Sale Now
- Health Insurance Website Gets Overhaul
- Man Accused Hitting Person with SUV inside Home
- Results from Diversity Focus Survey
- Iowa City Plans to Study Minimum Wage
- DBQ Increasing Street Lights, Cameras
- Putin Spends Birthday With NHL Legends
Wheels to Prosper
Updated: Thursday, July 24 2014, 07:45 AM CDT
MARION, IA (CBS2/FOX28) – One corridor woman has a brand new set of wheels thanks to a local repair shop. Jim Anderson from Anderson Automotive in Marion started a program called “Wheels to Prosper” where he matches up one deserving person with a car.
The whole process demonstrates to everyone involved exactly what the value of the dollar can be.
When life kicks you when you’re down, again and again, you don’t know if just around the corner is another speed bump or a helping hand.
Carly Ringgenberg came to Anderson Automotive with the idea that she was helping her Dad pick up something for his car. When she saw friends and family, she realized she’d be the one getting picked up.
Wheels to Prosper fixes up a car each year and then asks the public to nominate someone who deserves to buy it cheap.
Jim says Carly had three independent nominations from family and friends making the case to award the car to her.
"Two weeks later, the straight line winds came through in Toddville and took all the trees out and the neighbor's tree dented in the top front half of my car."
That left her without a way to get to work, drive her son to his activities and carpool with coworkers and friends.
Still, she never gave up.
"She knows that she needs to work and she knows that she needs to provide for her family,” said Opal McNiel, Carly’s Mother. “She's just a hard worker."
"She knows that she needs to work and she knows that she needs to provide for her family. She's just a hard worker."
Jim says the idea behind Wheels to Prosper is to help someone who keeps trying, but gets knocked back down. So he takes care of her car troubles by selling her a car for just a buck, proving that no matter how good your tires are, life can turn on a dime.
Or maybe, a dollar.