- Deere Laying off 220 Moline Workers
- Online Threat Cancels Class
- Ashley Hinson Running for Iowa House
- Remembering That One Special Gift
- IC Imam Condemns Terrorism
- Ted Cruz Stops in E. Iowa
- Conditions Mostly Positive for Holiday Travel
- Matt Campbell Named ISU Head Coach
- One Killed in Homicide on DM's Court Ave
- Uptown Marion Celebrates Shopping Small
- Festival of Trees Kicks Off
- Families Enjoy Breakfast with Santa
- Trump Attacks Rubio, Bush in FL
- Window Wonderland Kicks Off
- Pipeline Brings Protesters to CR
- Shiffrin Crushes Field, Breaks Record
- Deputies Rescue Newborn in Calif.
- Mich. State Will Play Iowa for Title
- Alabama Claims SEC West
- New Information in Colo. Shooting
- Coralville Prepares for Festival of Trees
- Hawkeye Fans Cheer on Undefeated Team
- UPDATE: Officer Killed in CO Shooting
- Gay Marriage on Tribal Lands
- Hawkeyes Clinch Undefeated Season
- Brucemore Kicks off Holiday Tours
- IA Man Seriously Injured after Shooting
- Smoking Causes Early Morning Fire
- Waterloo Woman Robs Cellphone Store
- Target Fire Interrupts Holiday Shopping
- JK Rowling Opens up about Snape
- Accused Teacher Resigns
- Grant Helps Historic IC Home
- White House Fence Jumper Arrested
- Golden Girls Granny Panties a Hit
- Shoppers Start Early on Thanksgiving
- Runners Celebrate Turkey Trot
- UI and "The Big Bang Theory"
- Hot Holiday Tech
- Delivering Thanksgiving
- Man Charged with Early Morning Fire
- Man Arrested in IC Thefts
- Pope Speaks Out For Climate Talks
- Judge: Throw out Medicaid Contract
- Cameron: UK Must Attack IS in Syria
- Drunken Boating Arrests Down in MO
- Iowa In Focus: Full Show 11-29-15
- Iowa In Focus: Refugee Real Story
- Iowa In Focus: Cedar Rapid's Mother Mosque
- RAW: Presidential Candidate Rand Paul talks about gathering intelligence in the wake of terror attacks
University Walks For Iowa Healthiest State Initiative
Updated: Wednesday, October 9 2013, 08:02 PM CDT
CEDAR RAPIDS, IA (CBS 2/FOX 28)--We begin in cedar rapids where various organized groups participated in the state’s third annual "Healthiest State Initiative" walk.
It’s all part of a community focused effort to make Iowa the healthiest state in the nation by 2016.
According to a national well-being study, Iowa is number nine when it comes to being physically emotionally and mentally healthy, but why settle for ninth best?
There are many benefits of being number one and that's what the afternoon’s walk was all about.
It's a walk to the top, top of the healthiest state ranking that is--and mount mercy university students, staff and faculty are all on board.
"If you start doing it with one person, it helps motivate others, so it helps spread it around,” said Aaron Lacy.
Aaron lacy is a 22-year-old senior at Mount Mercy and he says this is really a way of making healthiness a community effort.
"Everyone is coming together to be healthy because it's all something we can relate to,” he said.
It's not just Mount Mercy participating in today's walk, various community, religious and business groups statewide are involved
Promoting good health in the workplace is something employers everywhere encourage.
"We avoid medical concerns and health issues that might affect us which has a financial impact as well as personal impact on all of us,” said University Provost Jan Handler
"As a society, keeping those insurance cost down, but again just keeping yourself healthy and active and being able to go to work and do a good job at work,” said Head Cross Country and Track and Field Coach, Ryan Scheckel.
For Aaron who is a soccer and track and field athlete, this is a step in the right direction
"It's good that we are moving up but I'd like to see us just keep going on up,” he said.
In the past, more than 300,000 people have participated in the walk.