- Red Cedar Lodge Could Be Replaced
- Charges Abroad Only Option for Justice
- Cash Needed if Traveling to Greece
- Siri Gets Snarky
- IC Summer Park Program
- Newest Butter Creation at the Iowa State Fair
- New Laws Take Effect Wednesday
- Report Faults Police During Ferguson Unrest
- Leaders Want Radio System Upgrade
- UPDATE: Cedar River Water Rescue
- New Storm Drain Safety Non-Profit Formed
- Jury Rules in Favor of UI Following Mistrial
- Iowa City Home Damaged in Fire
- CNN: Obama Approval Rating Rising
- Controversial CA Vaccine Bill Now Law
- Gov. Christie Joins Crowded GOP Field
- Supreme Court Ruling on Vehicle Search
- New Law Enforcement Academy Director
- Bon Jovi Plays Part in 2016 Races
- Bush Releasing Tax Returns
- Overtime Could be Expanded
- Former ISU Researcher Sentencing
- NY Prison Under Investigation
- Gov. Extends Bird Flu Emergency
- Arrest Made in ISU Student Death
- 4th of July Terror Concerns
- Proposed Ordinance for Vacant Homes
- Diesel Prices Decline
- Before Lighting Your 4th Fireworks
- CA Passes Controversial Vaccine Bill
- UPDATE: Weekend Shootings Connected
- NBC Cutting Ties with Trump
- Egypt's Top Prosecutor Killed
- Tough Measures as Greece Faces Crisis
- Third Arrest in CF Assault
- Wash. Wildfire Destroys Multiple Structures
- Otis Road Closes Due to High Water
- IC Group Working on Unique Development
- Supreme Court Rules Against EPA
- SUV Crashes into Waterloo Home
- CR Police Investigate Armed Robbery
- SCOTUS Ruling on Lethal Injection Drug
- Legal Dispute Over Water in Dubuque
- Freedom Festival Rolls On
- Jurrasic Feet
- ROAD TRIPPIN': Nauvoo Entertainment
- Kasich to Join Race July 21st
- Six Months to Bakken Pipeline Decision
- Rainy Days And Fundays Get Me Down
- Riders Practice RAGBRAI Route
UI Children's Hospital Groundbreaking
Updated: Friday, June 21 2013, 09:43 PM CDT
IOWA CITY, IA (CBS2/FOX28) -
Tucked between Kininck Stadium and UIHC, among the dirt and metal - are dreams.
Dreams of a child said saved by a surgeons knife.
"Imagine our new children's hospital one day rising up from that spot," former patient Blake Derby said.
Along with the dreams of parents who lost their greatest dream too soon, like Doug and Robin Wall.
"Drew would have been glad we were here, he would really want us to be part of this day and it's been great," Mrs. Wall said.
The hospital held a 'groundbreaking' for the project on Friday. Engineers promise not only will it be one of the most advanced hospitals, but with parents AND kids giving the input, it will also be the most fun.
"There will be a theater, library, and a place to get ice cream," former patient Bryan LaRue told a crowd gathered at the groundbreaking. LaRue is also on the Children's hospital youth advisory council.
"Although we are sick on our stays at the hospital, we are children, and we get bored," LaRue said.
The impact it will have on patients and parents like the Walls is significant.
"We like to say in the sixteen years he got a lot done," Mrs. Wall said, talking about her son Drew Walls.
Drew fought bravely against cancer in his leg for years.
"Five years almost, and this past November he passed away," Mr. Wall said.
However, he got the chance to give his input into a building that meant so much to him.
"They really spent a lot of time and resources getting it right," Mr. Wall said.
They say the results will make everyone proud.
"Once the foundation is poured, and the walls are built, the ideas and dreams of drew wall will be alive again," LaRue said.