- Sanders Build to Go to Distance?
- Hayden Reflects on ANF Movement
- Sanders Visits Iowa Labor Day Weekend
- Donor, Recipient Meet for First Time
- Real Men Can Braid
- Car Chase Ends at Waterloo PD
- Harreld will not Seek Tenured Professorship
- Team Completes 5,200 Mile Canoe Journey
- New President speaks to Football Team
- DBQ Murder Victim Church Secretary
- UICCU adds Unique Employee Benefit
- A Third of Workers Identify as Free Agents
- The McProblems are McReal
- New Voting Machines after Ballot Surge
- Johnsonville Sausage Recall
- Jimmy Jack's Named Best BBQ Joint
- Kraft Singles Recall Grows
- Low-Wage Workers Experience Wage Theft
- U.S. Unemployment Dips to 5.1%
- Marriage Licenses Issued in Morehead
- EASTERN IOWA OT: Week 2 Scores
- Biden on Running: "I Just Don't Know"
- Man Dies After Jump from CR Bridge
- Mixed Emotions about New UI President
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate Bobby Jindal talks everything from Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis to Birthright Citizenship and religious freedom.
- Online Pilot Schools Get Extension
- CBJ Report: September 3rd
- Holiday Travel Reminders
- Iranian Hostage Reflects
- UI Student Heads to Int'l Judo Competition
- Harreld Next President of UI
- School Bus Crash Injures Moped Rider
- Murder Trial Delayed
- Connolly Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison
- Economic Impact of Iowa Football
- NL Celebrates Penn Meadows Pavilion
- Fmr. Clinton Aide to Plead 5th
- JoCo Minimum Wage Passes 2nd Vote
- Judge Lifts Tom Brady's Suspension
- Sen. Grassley Requests Ellingson Update
- IA Underperforms Nation in Economic Growth
- Rough SAT Results for 2015 Class
- Low Numbers Expected at Kinnick
- Marion Discusses Fitness Trackers
- Public Session for Marion Library Project
- Shark Stranded On Maine Beach
- RNC Seeks to Rule Out Third-Party Runs
- Scott Walker Ad Campaign to Begin in Iowa
- UFO Spotted Actually Navy Technology
- After Dark Farmers' Market Exceeds Expectations
UI Children's Hospital Groundbreaking
Updated: Friday, June 21 2013, 09:43 PM CDT
IOWA CITY, IA (CBS2/FOX28) -
Tucked between Kininck Stadium and UIHC, among the dirt and metal - are dreams.
Dreams of a child said saved by a surgeons knife.
"Imagine our new children's hospital one day rising up from that spot," former patient Blake Derby said.
Along with the dreams of parents who lost their greatest dream too soon, like Doug and Robin Wall.
"Drew would have been glad we were here, he would really want us to be part of this day and it's been great," Mrs. Wall said.
The hospital held a 'groundbreaking' for the project on Friday. Engineers promise not only will it be one of the most advanced hospitals, but with parents AND kids giving the input, it will also be the most fun.
"There will be a theater, library, and a place to get ice cream," former patient Bryan LaRue told a crowd gathered at the groundbreaking. LaRue is also on the Children's hospital youth advisory council.
"Although we are sick on our stays at the hospital, we are children, and we get bored," LaRue said.
The impact it will have on patients and parents like the Walls is significant.
"We like to say in the sixteen years he got a lot done," Mrs. Wall said, talking about her son Drew Walls.
Drew fought bravely against cancer in his leg for years.
"Five years almost, and this past November he passed away," Mr. Wall said.
However, he got the chance to give his input into a building that meant so much to him.
"They really spent a lot of time and resources getting it right," Mr. Wall said.
They say the results will make everyone proud.
"Once the foundation is poured, and the walls are built, the ideas and dreams of drew wall will be alive again," LaRue said.