- Change of Venue Discussed for Kozak
- CO Jury Moves on to Phase 3 in Sentencing
- Suspect Dead in Oakland Shooting
- Conditions Improve for Firefighters
- Delve Turns Art Into Fabric
- Branstad Touts Iowa STEM Education
- Park Service Shelves Blistering Report
- Sen. and Comedian Team Up on Gun Control
- Lotto Winner Reflects on Win
- Deputies Hurt During Arrest
- ROAD TRIPPIN': Downtown Mt. Pleasant
- Tornado Rips Through Southern IA
- VP Biden Still Considering 2016 Run
- Deadly Davenport Shooting
- Is it Time To Ban Trophy Hunting?
- Shots Fired at CR Home
- B-29 Bomber Puts on Performance
- Rummage in the Ramp Diverts Items
- Cedar Rapids Unveils Protected Bike Lanes
- 2nd American Suspected in Lion Hunt
- Memphis Officer Fatally Shot
- Church Explosions Under Investigation
- Some Say Iowa Politics Becoming Combative
- Carriage Glow Celebrated
- Fish-O-Rama Participants Cast a Line
- Dream Factory Chapter Opens
- Heart Walk Celebrated
- Back to School Supplies
- Iowan Raising Money for Nepal
- Penford Workers Reject Contract Offer
- Wildfire Claims Firefighter's Life
- Aircraft Part Arrives in France
- Inmates Moved to New Fort Madison Prison
- Crash Reported at Hawkeye Downs
- Sales Tax Holiday Set for Next Weekend
- Phone Scam Targets ISU Students
- Police Searching for Work Release Escapee
- Judge Dismisses DSM Speed Camera Lawsuit
- Paul: Planned Parenthood & Federal Funding
- Paul: Viral Campaigns
- Boys & Girls Battling Hunger
- Mission of Hope Closed Friday & Saturday
- Shooting Investigation Needs Cooperation
- IC Animal Center Prepares to Move
- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper Dead at 61
- Ground Broken for "The Depot"
- Police: Man Stole $20K From Domino's
- Community to "Take Back the Trails"
- Venomous Spider Found in School
- Ebola Vaccine "Highly Effective"
Truck Pins and Injures Off-Duty Des Moines Deputy
Updated: Sunday, July 14 2013, 05:45 PM CDT
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- A Des Moines police lieutenant has been injured in an off-duty accident.
Police Sgt. Jason Halifax says Lt. Joe Gonzalez was working Saturday at the World Food Prize building in downtown Des Moines.
Gonzalez was providing uniformed security outside the building when a truck started to leave the site.
As the truck turned, the rear of the vehicle pinned Gonzalez against a granite wall.
The driver stopped quickly and backed up, freeing Gonzalez. Witnesses called for medical help.
Gonzalez was taken to a Des Moines hospital, where he was being treated Saturday night for two collapsed lungs, broken ribs and other injuries. He was listed in serious and stable condition.
Police will decide whether to charge the driver after an investigation.
Gonzalez has worked for the department for 38 years.
“Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material
may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.”