- Creator of Pet Rock Dies at 78
- Iowans Mark National Walking Day
- Signs You're an Insomniac
- Corridor Schools' Frustrating Wait For Funding
- Iran Nuclear Talks Push Past Deadline
- Workers Monitored For Ebola Released
- Bill Cuts HIV Funding, Boosts Abstinence Ed.
- Schools Caught in Lawmaker Gridlock
- Window Narrows for IA Gun Law Changes
- CR Wants Input on Flood Control System
- Sen. Ernst Tours Kinze Manufacturing
- UI Warning of Tax Fraud
- Helping Parents Pay for Summer Camp
- Amazon Pushes New Dash Button
- Controversial Game Supports STEM Carreers
- Digging for History In Amana
- Senate Passes Anti-Bullying Bill
- Man Gets 10 YRS After Kidnapping Conviction
- Northern Virginia Manhunt Ends
- Masonville Man Facing Sex Abuse Charges
- BNSF Making Safety Changes
- Centuries-Old IA Church Destroyed
- School Start Date Bill Passed
- Gov. Confident He'll See Bully Bill
- Netflix Announces April Titles
- Group Calls for Tough Teen Driving Rules
- New Anti-Smoking Campaign Launched
- BMW Driver Identified In Police Shooting
- Iowan Sees Controversy As Opportunity
- Rubio Announcement Coming April 13
- Clinton Advisers Traveling To Iowa
- Man Drinks 36 beers, slams into house
- UPDATE: Man Shot By Police Identified
- Volunteers Explore Opportunities
- Airport to be Iowa's First Super Park
- Local Reaction to New Cancer Treatment
- Linn County to Offer Free STI Testing
- Winneshiek County Gathers Info on Sand
- House Panel Approves Adoption Leave Bill
- IA Senate Panel OKs Strip Search Bill
- Missing Cedar Rapids Man
- Stocks Surge on Spending Signs
- Branstad Seeks To Boost STEM Education
- 1 Killed in Incident at NSA
- New Empty IA Prison Records
- Efforts to Find Plane Crash Victims Continues
- Waterloo Has Highest Jobless Rate for IA Metros
- Trevor Noah Named 'Daily Show' Host
- Fiorina Almost Ready to Run
- Going Meatless on Mondays
Truck Pins and Injures Off-Duty Des Moines Deputy
Updated: Sunday, July 14 2013, 05:45 PM CDT
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- A Des Moines police lieutenant has been injured in an off-duty accident.
Police Sgt. Jason Halifax says Lt. Joe Gonzalez was working Saturday at the World Food Prize building in downtown Des Moines.
Gonzalez was providing uniformed security outside the building when a truck started to leave the site.
As the truck turned, the rear of the vehicle pinned Gonzalez against a granite wall.
The driver stopped quickly and backed up, freeing Gonzalez. Witnesses called for medical help.
Gonzalez was taken to a Des Moines hospital, where he was being treated Saturday night for two collapsed lungs, broken ribs and other injuries. He was listed in serious and stable condition.
Police will decide whether to charge the driver after an investigation.
Gonzalez has worked for the department for 38 years.
“Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material
may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.”