- Missing Man Found Dead in Iowa City
- Probable Bird Flu Case in Hamilton County
- Zebra Mussles Found
- Suit over IA Juvenile Home Dismissed
- Taste of Vinton Saturday
- WTC Observatory Opens to Public
- New Gas Tax Pumps in Millions
- Rough 2015 Start for U.S. Economy
- Woman Pulled Over by Imposter
- 911 Texting on the Horizon
- Downtown Construction
- A Few Extra Wheels
- UI Rolls out eCare Service
- New Poll Shows GOP Dead Heat
- Deaths Prompt Corridor Father's Action
- CBJ Report: May 28th
- Iowans Help with Flood Recovery
- Former U.S. House Speaker Indicted
- Body Found in Burned Vehicle
- How Obese is Your Home State?
- AMBER ALERT CANCELLED: Bayli Jordan
- Demolition Continues on IC Cottages
- Lawmakers Still at Budget Impasse
- FIFA President: Alleged Corruption Shameful
- 2 Your Finances
- Bulls Fire Coach Thibodeau
- IA Woman Accused of Abusing Wife
- Traffic Deaths Spike
- Lab Ships Live Anthrax
- Crews Extinguish Cedar Co. Fire
- Tracy Morgan Settles with Walmart
- Fight Over Air Freshener Turns Dangerous
- Big 12 Cracking Down on Court Storming
- Local Veteran Gets His Final Wish
- UI Diversity Training Set to Begin in Fall
- Bird Flu Affecting Egg Prices
- Remaining IC Cottages Demolished
- Fixing Financial Woes
- Strength in Numbers in Iowa City
- Cause of Train Derailment Released
- Unemployment Down in IA
- Preparing for Water Emergencies
- 19-Year-Old Gets 50 Years for Murder
- Serious Gap Remains in Des Moines
- Santorum Joins Crowded GOP Field
- Democrat O'Malley Coming to Iowa
- Seven Face Federal Gun Charges
- 'Field of Dreams' Rezoning Approved
- Prepping for Pride Month
- Escapee Caught
Truck Pins and Injures Off-Duty Des Moines Deputy
Updated: Sunday, July 14 2013, 05:45 PM CDT
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- A Des Moines police lieutenant has been injured in an off-duty accident.
Police Sgt. Jason Halifax says Lt. Joe Gonzalez was working Saturday at the World Food Prize building in downtown Des Moines.
Gonzalez was providing uniformed security outside the building when a truck started to leave the site.
As the truck turned, the rear of the vehicle pinned Gonzalez against a granite wall.
The driver stopped quickly and backed up, freeing Gonzalez. Witnesses called for medical help.
Gonzalez was taken to a Des Moines hospital, where he was being treated Saturday night for two collapsed lungs, broken ribs and other injuries. He was listed in serious and stable condition.
Police will decide whether to charge the driver after an investigation.
Gonzalez has worked for the department for 38 years.
“Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material
may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.”