- New Store Helps Revitalize Iowa City
- Fake AIDS Researcher Gets Prison Time
- CRPD Investigating Deposit Bag Robbery
- Corridor Youth On Mission Marathon
- White House Lifts Ban on Photos
- Recreational Pot Now Legal in Oregon
- Feds: SC AME Church Fire Not Arson
- Winner of World Food Prize Announced
- Lawmakers Vow To Protect "Natural Law"
- Clinton Raises more than $45 Million
- Ben Carson Raised More Than $8.3 Million
- Audit Finds Problems with Agencies IT
- Mental Health Institutes Closed
- Audit Criticizes Iowa Agencies Over Spending
- Inmates Practiced Escape Before Breakout
- Macy's Latest to Cut Ties With Trump
- Court Orders Man to Stop Living in Tent
- Area Fireworks Schedule
- U.S. & Cuba to Reopen Embassies
- Combining Wine and Yoga
- Lucky's Open in IC
- Waterloo PPEL Passes, CF School Bond Fails
- City Raffling Off Chance to Taser City Leader
- U.S. and Cuba Open Embassies
- U.S. Markets Higher on Hope for Greece
- OK Court Rules on Ten Commandments
- Scott Walker Leads GOP Field in Iowa
- Corridor Soccer At Fever Pitch USA
- SC AME Church on Fire
- Wildfire Rips Through Washington State
- Greece Defaults on IMF Loan
- 'Love In' Event Draws Community Together
- Disaster Declaration for 18 Iowa Counties
- Red Cedar Lodge Could Be Replaced
- Charges Abroad Only Option for Justice
- Cash Needed if Traveling to Greece
- Siri Gets Snarky
- IC Summer Park Program
- Newest Butter Creation at the Iowa State Fair
- New Laws Take Effect Wednesday
- Report Faults Police During Ferguson Unrest
- Leaders Want Radio System Upgrade
- UPDATE: Cedar River Water Rescue
- New Storm Drain Safety Non-Profit Formed
- Jury Rules in Favor of UI Following Mistrial
- Iowa City Home Damaged in Fire
- CNN: Obama Approval Rating Rising
- Controversial CA Vaccine Bill Now Law
- Gov. Christie Joins Crowded GOP Field
- Supreme Court Ruling on Vehicle Search
Spontaneous Combustion Causes Bar Fire
Updated: Wednesday, July 23 2014, 06:38 PM CDT
CEDAR RAPIDS, IA (CBS2/FOX28)--Owners of a popular nightspot still are accessing damages from an early morning fire.
Fire fighters battled a four-alarm blaze at Chrome Horse Saloon and Slop House at about 1:30 Wednesday morning.
They say the fire caused significant smoke, heat and fire damage to the first and second floor of the building.
First there was one, then four.
A four alarm fire, bringing multiple units of the Cedar Rapids Fire Department to the Chrome Horse Saloon and Slop House.
"It's been years since that many firefighters have been deployed to a particular scene. In fact all of the fire equipment and on duty firefighters were deployed,” said Cedar Rapids Public Safety Coordinator, Greg Buelow.
It all began inside a bucket the Chrome Horse kitchen.
"It started in the kitchen. In a plastic bucket that contained rags or towels that more than likely contained animal fats,” Buelow said.
He says those rags or towels eventually generated enough heat that then led to a full blown fire, a process known as spontaneous combustion.
"One of the ways it can be prevented is to put oily rags or aprons of grease, not bunch them together and put them in something,” he said.
He says rags should be placed in a metal container with a lid, a lesson learned the hard way for the folks at Chrome Horse.
"Oh it's just smoke damage throughout, obviously water damage from the hoses and the firemen. The kitchen is just completely, it's pretty well gutted,” Chrome Horse General Manager, Derek Collins said.
It's a devastating scene for many who've hung out here.
"Jeez I hope they open up soon. I've got some friends and bartenders and servers that actually work here too so they kind of like out of job right now,” said Jake Nichols, a Chrome Horse regular, but like back in 2008, the hope is to rise again.
"We have a great thriving business. It's a beautiful area. It's up and coming. It's the Newbo District, we were Newbo before it was all Newbo,” Collins said.
The owners here say they won't hear from their insurance agents about the extent of the damage until sometime on Thursday.