- That One Cupcake Place
- Special Olympic Athlete Abuse
- Coralville Unveils RAGBRAI Theme
- Ringling Bros. Removing Elephant Act
- Iowans Could Lose ACA Subsidies
- Gun Bills Continue Advance in Des Moines
- Case Against IA Teacher Dismissed
- Clinton Asks Gov't to Release Emails
- Caring for a Croupy Cough
- UI Named in Worst Free Speech List
- Parents Fight Cyberbullying
- The Free Speech Debate At UI
- UPDATE: Arrest Made in CR Bank Robbery
- Engineers to Oversee Proposed Pipeline
- North Liberty Construction Begins
- Study Reveals More Health, Less Waste
- Dangerous Scam Unfolding on Phones
- Independence Seeks Fast Internet
- 100 Years of History at Coggon Opera House
- Mental Health Screenings at Schools
- Graphic Testimony in Frederiksen Trial
- House Panel OKs Ultrasound/Abortion Bill
- Appeal Filed In 'American Sniper' Case
- Woman Impaled During Car Crash
- Law Would Require Time Off To Caucus
- Senate Panel Approves Radon Rules
- DOJ Clears Wilson in Michael Brown Killing
- Man Found with Pound of Marijuana in Car
- UI Planning New Power Plant
- Target Plans Major Cuts
- New Police Body Cam Bill Introduced
- Man Charged in UVA Slaying Appears
- Trial for Tsarnaev to Begin Wednesday
- Lawmakers Working on Racial Profiling Bill
- Preserving Fertility After Breast Cancer
- AL Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage
- College Asks for Federal Review
- Gun Bill Moves Forward
- Panel OKs Texting Ban
- Governor Branstad Interview On Issues
- Men Get Jail Time for Meth Lab Fire
- Legislative Efforts for Medical Cannabis
- RAW NEWS: Governor Branstad Interview
- IC Coffee Shop Nationally Recognized
- Building Relations with First Responders
- Marion Alley Art Project Underway
- Testimony Underway in Frederiksen Trial
- Education Funding Debate Continues
- IA Janitor Walks 17.5 Mi to Work
- A Different Kind of Coaching
Spontaneous Combustion Causes Bar Fire
Updated: Wednesday, July 23 2014, 06:38 PM CDT
CEDAR RAPIDS, IA (CBS2/FOX28)--Owners of a popular nightspot still are accessing damages from an early morning fire.
Fire fighters battled a four-alarm blaze at Chrome Horse Saloon and Slop House at about 1:30 Wednesday morning.
They say the fire caused significant smoke, heat and fire damage to the first and second floor of the building.
First there was one, then four.
A four alarm fire, bringing multiple units of the Cedar Rapids Fire Department to the Chrome Horse Saloon and Slop House.
"It's been years since that many firefighters have been deployed to a particular scene. In fact all of the fire equipment and on duty firefighters were deployed,” said Cedar Rapids Public Safety Coordinator, Greg Buelow.
It all began inside a bucket the Chrome Horse kitchen.
"It started in the kitchen. In a plastic bucket that contained rags or towels that more than likely contained animal fats,” Buelow said.
He says those rags or towels eventually generated enough heat that then led to a full blown fire, a process known as spontaneous combustion.
"One of the ways it can be prevented is to put oily rags or aprons of grease, not bunch them together and put them in something,” he said.
He says rags should be placed in a metal container with a lid, a lesson learned the hard way for the folks at Chrome Horse.
"Oh it's just smoke damage throughout, obviously water damage from the hoses and the firemen. The kitchen is just completely, it's pretty well gutted,” Chrome Horse General Manager, Derek Collins said.
It's a devastating scene for many who've hung out here.
"Jeez I hope they open up soon. I've got some friends and bartenders and servers that actually work here too so they kind of like out of job right now,” said Jake Nichols, a Chrome Horse regular, but like back in 2008, the hope is to rise again.
"We have a great thriving business. It's a beautiful area. It's up and coming. It's the Newbo District, we were Newbo before it was all Newbo,” Collins said.
The owners here say they won't hear from their insurance agents about the extent of the damage until sometime on Thursday.