- Man Guilty in Pipe Dreamz Case
- Former IA Teacher Charged in Sex Case
- IA Judge to Rule on Oil Pipeline
- UI and UNI Top for Employer Value
- Judge to Rule on Mental Health Closings
- IC Based Fraternity Involved in AZ Shooting
- Body Cam Forum Addresses Privacy Issues
- Former Officer Turns Himself In
- Flights Diverted After DSM Airport Blackout
- Waterloo Worker Injured in Trench Collapse
- Fatal Shooting at AZ College
- Your Voice, Your Future Townhall: Connects Against Crime
- Oxford Gas Leak Prompts Evacuations
- UI Sexual Assault Report Increase
- Standlee Pleads Not Guilty
- Fire Happened "In the Blink of an Eye"
- Missing Cobra Found
- Hajj Death Toll Skyrockets
- Gov. Branstad Visits Marion
- JOCO Health Officials Draft Report
- Selena Gomez Battling Lupus
- McCarthy Withdraws from GOP Speaker Race
- North Liberty Company Expanding
- France Train Hero Stabbed in CA
- Iowa Fashion Project Launch Party at FilmScene
- Fugitive With Ties to Iowa on the Run
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate Carly Fiorina on Russia, Putin and other Republicans
- Privatizing Medicaid Savings Estimated
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate John Kasich on Syria, Russia and ACA
- No-kill Shelter Raffling off Gun
- Prison Officials Considering Tech Upgrades
- Dems Preparing Legislation to Curb Guns
- Clinton Turns Benghazi Ad To Her Side
- Coast Guard Ends Search For Crew
- Charges Filed After SUV Hits Home
- Fill the Boot Check Presentation
- Mayflower Hall Brings Back IOWA Tradition
- Iowa's Best Tasting Water Is In...
- Increase in Population, Increase in Violence?
- Iowa City Music Tradition Uncertain Future
- Created in the Corridor: Light Awake
- RAYGUN Coming to Cedar Rapids
- Trump in Waterloo
- Tronca Sentenced to Life in Prison
- Quite a Journey for Shellsburg Family Car
- Clinton Opposes Pacific Rim Trade Deal
- Chrome Horse Conversion Gains Support
- Details of Oregon Gunman's Death Revealed
- Clinton Flexes Muscles to GOP
- Clinton Gun Control Plans
Shutdown: National Parks & Monuments
Updated: Wednesday, October 2 2013, 12:00 AM CDT
WEST BRANCH, IA (CBS2/FOX28) - More than 400 parks, memorials and federal sites are closed all across the country as part of the government shutdown including the Hoover Library and Museum in West Branch.
Eighty years after the great depression Iowa’s only president is still getting the blame as a passerby yells “ They should have shut it down years ago .. it’s a huge waste of taxpayer money.”
Tourist information radio tells you when you’re still miles away that the museum is closed, but Lorin Clark is still upset.
He and Tenguin Grace are on a cross country trip to see all the presidential grave sights and that trip just ended at the front gate of the Hoover Museum.
"They’re losing money, this just doesn’t make any sense. Government employees will all get their pay and the taxpayers are leaving without seeing what we should be seeing.”
They aren't the only ones who are disappointed. In West Branch the Hoover library and museum is located just about two blocks from the main street.
The Pink Pony ice cream parlor is packed on most warm days, but owner Brenda Welsch worries congress could melt her profits. This is the business she opened 2 ½ years ago after being laid off from her job. She says even on this first day she can tell the traffic coming into town from the interstate is down considerably.
"If it were to last four to six weeks yes .. that would be a great concern .. the Hoover library has been good to me since I opened the business I hate to see the doors closed over there."
Surveys indicate businesses all across the country are worried the government shutdown may impact the economy and give consumers one more reason to be uncertain about spending their money just as conditions are beginning to improve.