- Change of Venue Discussed for Kozak
- CO Jury Moves on to Phase 3 in Sentencing
- Suspect Dead in Oakland Shooting
- Conditions Improve for Firefighters
- Delve Turns Art Into Fabric
- Branstad Touts Iowa STEM Education
- Park Service Shelves Blistering Report
- Sen. and Comedian Team Up on Gun Control
- Lotto Winner Reflects on Win
- Deputies Hurt During Arrest
- ROAD TRIPPIN': Downtown Mt. Pleasant
- Tornado Rips Through Southern IA
- VP Biden Still Considering 2016 Run
- Deadly Davenport Shooting
- Is it Time To Ban Trophy Hunting?
- Shots Fired at CR Home
- B-29 Bomber Puts on Performance
- Rummage in the Ramp Diverts Items
- Cedar Rapids Unveils Protected Bike Lanes
- 2nd American Suspected in Lion Hunt
- Memphis Officer Fatally Shot
- Church Explosions Under Investigation
- Some Say Iowa Politics Becoming Combative
- Carriage Glow Celebrated
- Fish-O-Rama Participants Cast a Line
- Dream Factory Chapter Opens
- Heart Walk Celebrated
- Back to School Supplies
- Iowan Raising Money for Nepal
- Penford Workers Reject Contract Offer
- Wildfire Claims Firefighter's Life
- Aircraft Part Arrives in France
- Inmates Moved to New Fort Madison Prison
- Crash Reported at Hawkeye Downs
- Sales Tax Holiday Set for Next Weekend
- Phone Scam Targets ISU Students
- Police Searching for Work Release Escapee
- Judge Dismisses DSM Speed Camera Lawsuit
- Paul: Planned Parenthood & Federal Funding
- Paul: Viral Campaigns
- Boys & Girls Battling Hunger
- Mission of Hope Closed Friday & Saturday
- Shooting Investigation Needs Cooperation
- IC Animal Center Prepares to Move
- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper Dead at 61
- Ground Broken for "The Depot"
- Police: Man Stole $20K From Domino's
- Community to "Take Back the Trails"
- Venomous Spider Found in School
- Ebola Vaccine "Highly Effective"
Sen. Harkin on Passing of Frank Lautenberg
Updated: Monday, June 3 2013, 01:19 PM CDT
WASHINGTON, D.C. (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- Democratic New Jersey Senator Frank Lautenberg has died at the age of 89. Lautenberg was the oldest member of the Senate and the last World War II veteran to hold a Senate seat. His office says Lautenberg died early today in a New York hospital after suffering complications from viral pneumonia. He had announced in February that he would not be seeking a sixth term.
Iowa Senator Tom Harkin released this statement about the late Senator "Frank Lautenberg was a wonderful friend and a senator of great accomplishments. Time and again, he took on powerful interests to improve the health and safety of the American people, and countless individuals have led longer healthier lives as a result of his tireless advocacy. I was proud to work closely with him on the fight to combat the public health threat posed by tobacco usage. during his three decades in the Senate, he left a lasting mark on our national life, including a national drinking age of 21 and a ban on smoking on commercial airline flights. I will remember Frank fondly as a man of honor and decency, and as a great progressive with a passion for justice and fairness. it was an honor and a privilege with him for so many years. Today, Ruth and I send our deepest condolences to Bonnie and the Lautenberg family."
New Jersey Governor Chris Christie will appoint Lautenberg's successor.