- Youth Programs Try to Reach the Masses
- Women Shelter Opening in Cedar Rapids
- Eastern Iowa OT Scores
- Breakthrough in Iowa Hot Lotto Case
- Voices of Diversity: West Branch HS First Female Football Player
- A Good 'Season' to Join Yoga Studio
- Man Guilty in Pipe Dreamz Case
- Former IA Teacher Charged in Sex Case
- IA Judge to Rule on Oil Pipeline
- UI and UNI Top for Employer Value
- Judge to Rule on Mental Health Closings
- IC Based Fraternity Involved in AZ Shooting
- Body Cam Forum Addresses Privacy Issues
- Former Officer Turns Himself In
- Flights Diverted After DSM Airport Blackout
- Waterloo Worker Injured in Trench Collapse
- Fatal Shooting at AZ College
- Your Voice, Your Future Townhall: Connects Against Crime
- Oxford Gas Leak Prompts Evacuations
- UI Sexual Assault Report Increase
- Standlee Pleads Not Guilty
- Fire Happened "In the Blink of an Eye"
- Missing Cobra Found
- Hajj Death Toll Skyrockets
- Gov. Branstad Visits Marion
- JOCO Health Officials Draft Report
- Selena Gomez Battling Lupus
- McCarthy Withdraws from GOP Speaker Race
- North Liberty Company Expanding
- France Train Hero Stabbed in CA
- Iowa Fashion Project Launch Party at FilmScene
- Fugitive With Ties to Iowa on the Run
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate Carly Fiorina on Russia, Putin and other Republicans
- Privatizing Medicaid Savings Estimated
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate John Kasich on Syria, Russia and ACA
- No-kill Shelter Raffling off Gun
- Prison Officials Considering Tech Upgrades
- Dems Preparing Legislation to Curb Guns
- Clinton Turns Benghazi Ad To Her Side
- Coast Guard Ends Search For Crew
- Charges Filed After SUV Hits Home
- Fill the Boot Check Presentation
- Mayflower Hall Brings Back IOWA Tradition
- Iowa's Best Tasting Water Is In...
- Increase in Population, Increase in Violence?
- Iowa City Music Tradition Uncertain Future
- Created in the Corridor: Light Awake
- RAYGUN Coming to Cedar Rapids
- Trump in Waterloo
- Tronca Sentenced to Life in Prison
Sandbagging into the Night in New Bohemian Neighborhood
Updated: Thursday, May 30 2013, 10:49 PM CDT
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- Vendors at NewBo City Market didn't expect flooding so soon after being built.
"It's not if, but when we'll get water," said Teresa Pinkerton, That One Cupcake Place owner.
"I haven't wrapped my head around it. We're just taking it as it comes," Teresa said.
Like the rest of the business owners, she's getting everything she can out now before flood waters rise.
"There may be some water in here," Patrick Rashed said.
Next door, Patrick is racing to save the Caribbean Kitchen.
"We're hoping that it doesn't get as bad as we think it might get," Patrick said.
Outside the market, volunteers like Pam Schneider fill sandbags to sprinkle throughout New Bohemia.
"You just gotta do something, anything," she said. "It's just very upsetting to know they might get flooded again."
Coe College ROTC cadets even stopped by after their training to help.
"Since we live here, it's our job to help out too," cadet Greg Ponder said.
Much like the NewBo community after 2008, these folks know they'll recover from whatever happens.
"We're going to come right back even stronger," Teresa said.
The Cedar Rapids Police Department asks people to stay away from the flood-prone areas if you don't need to be down there. They also ask folks to stay off the bridges over the water.