- Unemployment Down in Iowa
- Waterloo PD Investigate Shooting
- House Passes Funeral Protest Limits
- Hy-Vee Requests Tax Credits
- Democrat Senate Leader Retiring
- Developmental Disabilities Month
- What's Stealing Your Sleep?
- Census Data Shows Iowa Growth
- Discussing Gambling Addiction
- Business Fire In Ely
- New Development Project In NewBo
- CR Foreclosure Rate Dropping
- African Families Day at Hoover Elementary
- GOP Hopefuls Coming to Iowa
- One Killed After Semi Hits Bridge
- Ted Cruz to Visit Cedar Rapids
- CR City Budget Appealed
- Medical Marijuana Bill Advances in Senate
- DBQ Man Charged for Kidnapping Attempt
- 2 Your Finances
- Census Shows Growth in DSM, Iowa City
- Mentally Ill Seniors Transferred to Nursing Homes
- Men's Cardio Fitness Tied to Cancer Risk
- Basketball Players to Meet Globetrotter
- Bond Doubled for Stigler
- Prison Contractor Wants More Money
- CLAIM: France Plane Crash Intentional
- Saudi Arabia Intervenes in Yemen
- Germanwings Pilot Was Locked Out Of Cockpit
- Severe Weather Kills 1 In Oklahoma
- Saudi Arabia Launches Airstrikes In Yemen
- Linn Co. Plans Future Trails
- New Video Shows Distracted Drivers
- Support for Medicaid Oversight
- CR Council OKs Stormwater Hike
- Development Planned for Old Vigortone Site
- Court Documents Reveal Johns Steps
- IA Man Competing for Dream Job
- RAGBRAI Riders Travel Past Kinnick
- Heinz: CR Plant Not Affected by Merger
- CR Student Works to Fight Bullying
- Senate School Start Date Bill Stalls
- Longtime Hawkeye PA Announcer Passes
- Crowdfunding Trend Skyrockets
- Emerald Ash Borer Found in Clinton Co.
- UI Names Potential Interim President
- Bergdahl to be Charged with Desertion
- Elected Official Contact Info Bill Advances
- Gov. Branstad has Private Email
- Bill for Statewide Uber Regulations
Recipe Taking Girl To White House
Updated: Saturday, June 22 2013, 10:43 PM CDT
TIPTON (CBS 2 FOX 28)—Nine -year -old Corrine VanderGaast’s favorite thing to cook is her family's secret banana pancake recipe.
It's not unusual to find this fourth grader in the kitchen--working with fresh fruit and vegetables.
While breakfast is her specialty, it's her "stone curry" dinner recipe that's won her the invitation of a lifetime.
"She was so excited,” said Corrine’s mother Deborah. “We're going to the White House! We're going to the White House," she said, recalling her daughter’s reaction.
On July 9th, Corrine and her mother will represent Iowa at the second annual “Kids' State Dinner" with First Lady Michelle Obama.
A dream come true that still hasn't quite sunk in yet.
Corrine's winning recipe is a vegetable curry they made with her mom's daycare kids while acting out the story Stone Soup.
The recipe had to represent each of the food groups to qualify-- no problem for the budding chef.
"It has sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, chick peas, tomatoes,” Corrine said going over the recipe.
And now that she's got her recipe ‘down pat’, she's free to work on other things, like what she's going to say when she meets the First Lady.
While most cooks like to keep their recipes secret, Corrine is sharing hers to help other families eat healthy too.
The "stone curry" recipe on fox 28iowa.com and cbs2iowa.com.