- UPDATE: Accused Killer in Court
- Bird Flu Fallout: Compensation Debate
- 10th Big Magic Breakfast
- Strange Smell Diverts Plane
- Juveniles Arrested in Violent Robbery
- Gas Prices Rise Again
- Iowan on Everest Says He's OK
- Canine Flu Fears Grow in Iowa
- Study Questions Salt's Health Impact
- UPDATE: Bomb Threat at ISU
- Is It Time To Legalize Fireworks?
- Juveniles Charged With Robberies
- UI Professor Will Make Map of Nepal Quake
- Family, Friends Mourn Death of Gray
- 1 Airlifted After Chase, Rollover on Hwy. 30
- Man Charged in Fatal Parking Lot Stabbing
- UPDATE: Death Toll Tops 2,500 in Nepal
- 4 Missing After Sailboats Capsize
- Volcano Threats Downgraded
- Starbucks Glitch Fixed
- Sen. Rand Paul Visits IA
- Red Cross Volunteers Install Life-Saving Gift
- Indiana College Student Found Dead
- RAW: First District House Rep. Rod Blum Talks about Rand Paul and Carly Fiorina
- RAW: Potential Presidential Candidate Scott Walker after his meet and greet in Cedar Rapids
- RAW: Presidential Candidate Rand Paul talks about fist-bumping Harry Reid, Hillary Clinton and Young Americans for Liberty
- Large Crowds Expected in Baltimore
- Little Free Libraries In Hiawatha
- Cedar Rapids Budget Appeal Rejected
- Rockwell Workers Relieve Stress With Yoga
- Deadly Crashes Dropping Among Teens
- RAW NEWS: Victim's Family Speaks
- Remembering Lynnsey Donald
- Summit Attracts Big GOP Names
- Girl with Leukemia Dismissed from School
- Cedar Rapids Celebrates Arbor Day
- Walker Running on a Record
- Cedar Falls Man's Garage Sale App
- Wellington Heights Smoke Detector Giveaway
- Walker Circling Presidential Run
- Grads Lack Desired Skills
- UI Offers New Degree
- IA Man Goes to Gofundme to Follow Dream
- DOT Reviews Intersection
- Police Shooting Report Expected Soon
- Rubio Returning to Iowa
- Drake Gets Live Mascot
- Accused Teenage Murderer in Court
- Phone Outage Affecting 4 Counties
- Woman Denied $41M Jackpot Error
Recipe Taking Girl To White House
Updated: Saturday, June 22 2013, 10:43 PM CDT
TIPTON (CBS 2 FOX 28)—Nine -year -old Corrine VanderGaast’s favorite thing to cook is her family's secret banana pancake recipe.
It's not unusual to find this fourth grader in the kitchen--working with fresh fruit and vegetables.
While breakfast is her specialty, it's her "stone curry" dinner recipe that's won her the invitation of a lifetime.
"She was so excited,” said Corrine’s mother Deborah. “We're going to the White House! We're going to the White House," she said, recalling her daughter’s reaction.
On July 9th, Corrine and her mother will represent Iowa at the second annual “Kids' State Dinner" with First Lady Michelle Obama.
A dream come true that still hasn't quite sunk in yet.
Corrine's winning recipe is a vegetable curry they made with her mom's daycare kids while acting out the story Stone Soup.
The recipe had to represent each of the food groups to qualify-- no problem for the budding chef.
"It has sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, chick peas, tomatoes,” Corrine said going over the recipe.
And now that she's got her recipe ‘down pat’, she's free to work on other things, like what she's going to say when she meets the First Lady.
While most cooks like to keep their recipes secret, Corrine is sharing hers to help other families eat healthy too.
The "stone curry" recipe on fox 28iowa.com and cbs2iowa.com.