- Standing up at Oak Ridge
- Why Thursday's Amber Alert was Delayed
- New Exam Room Aimed at Helping Victims
- Non-profit Coming to a Close
- Tentative State Budget Agreement Reached
- Plans for Old State Prison Approved
- Bird Flu State of Emergency Extended
- The Decker Hotel: History for Sale in Maquoketa
- Faulty Takata Air Bag Investigation
- Community Events Need Volunteers
- Proposal to Reduce Ethanol in Gasoline
- Police: Woman Sent Fake Eviction Notices
- Missing Man Found Dead in Iowa City
- Probable Bird Flu Case in Hamilton County
- Zebra Mussels Found
- Suit over IA Juvenile Home Dismissed
- Taste of Vinton Saturday
- WTC Observatory Opens to Public
- New Gas Tax Pumps in Millions
- Rough 2015 Start for U.S. Economy
- Woman Pulled Over by Imposter
- 911 Texting on the Horizon
- Downtown Construction
- A Few Extra Wheels
- UI Rolls out eCare Service
- New Poll Shows GOP Dead Heat
- Deaths Prompt Corridor Father's Action
- CBJ Report: May 28th
- Iowans Help with Flood Recovery
- Former U.S. House Speaker Indicted
- Body Found in Burned Vehicle
- How Obese is Your Home State?
- AMBER ALERT CANCELLED: Bayli Jordan
- Demolition Continues on IC Cottages
- Lawmakers Still at Budget Impasse
- FIFA President: Alleged Corruption Shameful
- 2 Your Finances
- Bulls Fire Coach Thibodeau
- IA Woman Accused of Abusing Wife
- Traffic Deaths Spike
- Lab Ships Live Anthrax
- Crews Extinguish Cedar Co. Fire
- Tracy Morgan Settles with Walmart
- Fight Over Air Freshener Turns Dangerous
- Big 12 Cracking Down on Court Storming
- Local Veteran Gets His Final Wish
- UI Diversity Training Set to Begin in Fall
- Bird Flu Affecting Egg Prices
- Remaining IC Cottages Demolished
- Fixing Financial Woes
Recipe Taking Girl To White House
Updated: Saturday, June 22 2013, 10:43 PM CDT
TIPTON (CBS 2 FOX 28)—Nine -year -old Corrine VanderGaast’s favorite thing to cook is her family's secret banana pancake recipe.
It's not unusual to find this fourth grader in the kitchen--working with fresh fruit and vegetables.
While breakfast is her specialty, it's her "stone curry" dinner recipe that's won her the invitation of a lifetime.
"She was so excited,” said Corrine’s mother Deborah. “We're going to the White House! We're going to the White House," she said, recalling her daughter’s reaction.
On July 9th, Corrine and her mother will represent Iowa at the second annual “Kids' State Dinner" with First Lady Michelle Obama.
A dream come true that still hasn't quite sunk in yet.
Corrine's winning recipe is a vegetable curry they made with her mom's daycare kids while acting out the story Stone Soup.
The recipe had to represent each of the food groups to qualify-- no problem for the budding chef.
"It has sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, chick peas, tomatoes,” Corrine said going over the recipe.
And now that she's got her recipe ‘down pat’, she's free to work on other things, like what she's going to say when she meets the First Lady.
While most cooks like to keep their recipes secret, Corrine is sharing hers to help other families eat healthy too.
The "stone curry" recipe on fox 28iowa.com and cbs2iowa.com.