- Four-Year-Old Killed in ATV Crash
- Branstad's Anti-Bullying Office Raises Questions
- Downtown DM YMCA Goes Down
- Mammoth Recovered in Michigan
- More Crops But Lower Prices
- New Details Released in Oregon Shooting
- Get Out the Vote Event for CR Public Library
- Especially for You Race Sunday
- Clinton Wins Big Labor Union Endorsement
- Search Continues For Ship in Hurricane
- Eastern Iowa OT Scores
- Quick Response From Hospital After Crash
- Obama: Tally Shootings vs. Terrorist Attacks
- Hurricane Joaquin as seen from Space
- College Shooting Victims Identified
- UPDATE: Three Arrested in CR Chase
- Youth Police Academy for CR Students
- CR Store Treasures the Trash
- OR Shooter's Weapons Bought Legally
- Fire Strikes Two Fairfax Homes
- Spates Imprisoned for Girl's Death
- U.S. Hiring Slows
- Vatican Distances Pope From Kim Davis
- London Looking for NFL Team
- Calls for Beer Band to Clean Up
- Escaped Boa Costs Owner
- Most Mumps Cases in IA at UI
- School Bus Involved in Crash
- "No Quick Fix" for Criminal Justice System
- One Month To JoCo Wage Increase
- Kasich: Focused on Iowa
- Kasich: A Different Voice in 2016
- CBJ Report: October 1st
- 10 Dead in Oregon Comm. College Shooting
- Robillard Speaks On State Of UI
- Experts Support Secret Juvy Records
- Trump Hotels Hacked
- City Loses Only Grocery Store
- Details of IL Officer Death Released
- Netanyahu Criticizes Iran Deal at UN
- Man and Daughter Save Neighbors from Fire
- IA Couple Sentenced for Enticement
- Slowdown Predicted for Midwest Economy
- Not Guilty Plea Filed in CR Murders
- School Bus Driver Quits During Route
- John Deere and UAW Agree
- Domestic Violence Hotline Taking Calls
- ICPD Coffee With A Cop
- Wheels To Prosper Returns
- 2015 Next Gen. Summit Held In CR
Rainy Weather Alters Memorial Day Plans
Updated: Tuesday, May 28 2013, 05:05 PM CDT
CEDAR RAPIDS, IA (CBS2/FOX28) - It's not your typical memorial day menu, but for Courtney Axline and her family at least it's dry.
"It has been raining for a week, we just didn't plan on anything outside'" Axline said.
On a day reserved for the outdoors, their patronage at Lava Fusion is very appreciated.
"We really enjoy having their business here," said Lava Fusion general manager David Holbert.
At the same time, it's somewhat surprising to Holbert.
"Today was a very unusual day for Memorial Day...actually the weekend was pretty much the same," Holbert said.
People packed the tables at Lava Fusion all day long.
"The opportunity for them to be outside wasn't there, so they decided to come inside and have lunch and dinner with us," Holbert said.
However, his success translated to disappointment for Dan Rogers and the Coralville Lake Marina.
"When it rains everyday and all day long, we don't do very well," Rogers said.
As a result, potential customers like Axline stayed away form his boats.
"They were all booked Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, and they all canceled except the last two this afternoon," Rogers said.
Their problems go beyond the dock, they also extend into the parking lot, which they expect to be fully underwater by tomorrow.
All in all, not the ideal kickoff to a very important summer season.
"Hopefully we'll have lots of other weekends in a row that are nice...that's what we need," Rogers said.