- Hwy. 30 Work to Begin
- Lawmakers Wish to Change Health Benefits
- CR Police Shoot Man at End of Chase
- UI Opens New Pediatric Clinic
- Boston Officer in Coma After Shooting
- Spring Break Turns Violent in FL
- Kittens Found Dumped in Trash Bin
- Pilots Inspire Girl Scouts To Fly
- 15th Annual Arc March in CR
- Farmers Asked to Breed No-Horn Cows
- 2 Iowa Farm Workers Hospitalized
- Knox Conviction Overturned, Again
- Pink Chicken Mystery Solved
- Concern Over Future State History
- Man Sentenced in Waterloo Toddler's Death
- Hawkeye Women Inspire Next Generation
- Special ACA Enrollment for Some
- What's Stealing Your Sleep?
- Woman Sentenced in Fake Birth Case
- Man Sentenced for Heroin Trafficking
- Threatening Letter Sent to Bar
- DQ Demolition Affecting 7th Ave. Traffic
- E. Iowan Charged With Bank Embezzlement
- Linn Co. To Charge Cities For Dispatch
- CRPD Charge Man with Attempted Murder
- Highway 965 Traffic Altered
- Winnebago Expanding to Waverly
- Man Hits Woman and Her Dog, Takes Car
- Unemployment Down in Iowa
- Waterloo PD Investigate Shooting
- House Passes Funeral Protest Limits
- Hy-Vee Requests Tax Credits
- Democrat Senate Leader Retiring
- Developmental Disabilities Month
- What's Stealing Your Sleep?
- Census Data Shows Iowa Growth
- Discussing Gambling Addiction
- Business Fire In Ely
- New Development Project In NewBo
- CR Foreclosure Rate Dropping
- African Families Day at Hoover Elementary
- GOP Hopefuls Coming to Iowa
- One Killed After Semi Hits Bridge
- Ted Cruz to Visit Cedar Rapids
- CR City Budget Appealed
- Medical Marijuana Bill Advances in Senate
- DBQ Man Charged for Kidnapping Attempt
- 2 Your Finances
- Census Shows Growth in DSM, Iowa City
Rainy Weather Alters Memorial Day Plans
Updated: Tuesday, May 28 2013, 05:05 PM CDT
CEDAR RAPIDS, IA (CBS2/FOX28) - It's not your typical memorial day menu, but for Courtney Axline and her family at least it's dry.
"It has been raining for a week, we just didn't plan on anything outside'" Axline said.
On a day reserved for the outdoors, their patronage at Lava Fusion is very appreciated.
"We really enjoy having their business here," said Lava Fusion general manager David Holbert.
At the same time, it's somewhat surprising to Holbert.
"Today was a very unusual day for Memorial Day...actually the weekend was pretty much the same," Holbert said.
People packed the tables at Lava Fusion all day long.
"The opportunity for them to be outside wasn't there, so they decided to come inside and have lunch and dinner with us," Holbert said.
However, his success translated to disappointment for Dan Rogers and the Coralville Lake Marina.
"When it rains everyday and all day long, we don't do very well," Rogers said.
As a result, potential customers like Axline stayed away form his boats.
"They were all booked Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, and they all canceled except the last two this afternoon," Rogers said.
Their problems go beyond the dock, they also extend into the parking lot, which they expect to be fully underwater by tomorrow.
All in all, not the ideal kickoff to a very important summer season.
"Hopefully we'll have lots of other weekends in a row that are nice...that's what we need," Rogers said.