- UPDATE: Arrest Made in CR Bank Robbery
- Engineers to Oversee Proposed Pipeline
- North Liberty Construction Begins
- Study Reveals More Health, Less Waste
- Dangerous Scam Unfolding on Phones
- Independence Seeks Fast Internet
- 100 Years of History at Coggon Opera House
- Mental Health Screenings at Schools
- Graphic Testimony in Frederiksen Trial
- House Panel OKs Ultrasound/Abortion Bill
- Appeal Filed In 'American Sniper' Case
- Woman Impaled During Car Crash
- Law Would Require Time Off To Caucus
- Senate Panel Approves Radon Rules
- DOJ Clears Wilson in Michael Brown Killing
- Man Found with Pound of Marijuana in Car
- UI Planning New Power Plant
- Target Plans Major Cuts
- New Police Body Cam Bill Introduced
- Man Charged in UVA Slaying Appears
- Trial for Tsarnaev to Begin Wednesday
- Lawmakers Working on Racial Profiling Bill
- Preserving Fertility After Breast Cancer
- AL Supreme Court Halts Same-Sex Marriage
- College Asks for Federal Review
- Gun Bill Moves Forward
- Panel OKs Texting Ban
- Governor Branstad Interview On Issues
- Men Get Jail Time for Meth Lab Fire
- Legislative Efforts for Medical Cannabis
- RAW NEWS: Governor Branstad Interview
- IC Coffee Shop Nationally Recognized
- Building Relations with First Responders
- Marion Alley Art Project Underway
- Testimony Underway in Frederiksen Trial
- Education Funding Debate Continues
- IA Janitor Walks 17.5 Mi to Work
- A Different Kind of Coaching
- First of its kind ADHD Study
- IA School Gives Athletes a Second Chance
- Report on Ferguson Finds Excessive Force
- Name Released in Parking Lot Death
- Clinton Criticized for Email Use
- Uber Not Coming to Iowa City
- Pres. Obama Responds to Netanyahu
- NTSB Reviewing Infamous Plane Crash
- WI Homicide Suspect Captured in Iowa
- Gov. Appoints New Regents Members
- Proposed Medical Marijuana Expansion
- Dr. Ben Carson Explores White House Bid
Pop-Up Shop Opens in Cedar Rapids
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 01:14 PM CDT
Cedar Rapids, IA (CBS 2/FOX 28) --
The Enchanted Gift, featuring a variety of accessories for women, has become the first Pop-Up Shop in Downtown Cedar Rapids.
It opened on Aug. 1 at 207 Second Ave. SE (Suite 300). It will stay in that location until September 30th. It's all part of a new program for retailers called "Pop-Up Shops."
The Economic Alliance and private property owners are offering retailers a no-cost short-term lease in a Greater Downtown Cedar Rapids storefront.
The program is aimed at filling high-traffic urban space that has been vacant, provide retailers with the opportunity to explore their business model concept within the Greater Downtown Area; and provide an opportunity to develop long-term lease prospects for the available spaces.
Applicants are still being accepted for interested merchants and property owners. In the first round of applications, several food service operators applied, however, there were no property applications that could accommodate food service operations. We are seeking property owners with food service equipment that would be willing to participate in this program.
The type of retailers the program would like to attract include local or regional establishments that feature: gifts, home goods and décor, apparel and accessories, specialty food, books, sporting goods, pet items, art galleries, photo studios, music schools and art/culture related retail items.
Goals of this pilot year include further developing greater downtown as a shopping and tourist destination by attracting additional quality retail establishments, provide a visible greater downtown presence and sales outlet for quality local and regional retail establishments, highlight the available spaces in the greater downtown area and develop long-term lease prospects for the available spaces and support existing downtown businesses.
For more information, go to http://www.cedarrapids.org and click on Community Development/Progress.