- Former IA Teacher Charged in Sex Case
- IA Judge to Rule on Oil Pipeline
- UI and UNI Top for Employer Value
- Judge to Rule on Mental Health Closings
- IC Based Fraternity Involved in AZ Shooting
- Body Cam Forum Addresses Privacy Issues
- Former Officer Turns Himself In
- Flights Diverted After DSM Airport Blackout
- Waterloo Worker Injured in Trench Collapse
- Fatal Shooting at AZ College
- DSM Airport Suffers Blackout
- Your Voice, Your Future Townhall: Connects Against Crime
- Oxford Gas Leak Prompts Evacuations
- UI Sexual Assault Report Increase
- Standlee Pleads Not Guilty
- Fire Happened "In the Blink of an Eye"
- Missing Cobra Found
- Hajj Death Toll Skyrockets
- Gov. Branstad Visits Marion
- JOCO Health Officials Draft Report
- Selena Gomez Battling Lupus
- McCarthy Withdraws from GOP Speaker Race
- North Liberty Company Expanding
- France Train Hero Stabbed in CA
- Iowa Fashion Project Launch Party at FilmScene
- Fugitive With Ties to Iowa on the Run
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate Carly Fiorina on Russia, Putin and other Republicans
- Privatizing Medicaid Savings Estimated
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate John Kasich on Syria, Russia and ACA
- No-kill Shelter Raffling off Gun
- Prison Officials Considering Tech Upgrades
- Dems Preparing Legislation to Curb Guns
- Clinton Turns Benghazi Ad To Her Side
- Coast Guard Ends Search For Crew
- Charges Filed After SUV Hits Home
- Fill the Boot Check Presentation
- Mayflower Hall Brings Back IOWA Tradition
- Iowa's Best Tasting Water Is In...
- Increase in Population, Increase in Violence?
- Iowa City Music Tradition Uncertain Future
- Created in the Corridor: Light Awake
- RAYGUN Coming to Cedar Rapids
- Trump in Waterloo
- Tronca Sentenced to Life in Prison
- Quite a Journey for Shellsburg Family Car
- Clinton Opposes Pacific Rim Trade Deal
- Chrome Horse Conversion Gains Support
- Details of Oregon Gunman's Death Revealed
- Clinton Flexes Muscles to GOP
- Clinton Gun Control Plans
Packaged Salad Mix Source of Cyclospora
Updated: Tuesday, July 30 2013, 02:31 PM CDT
DES MOINES, IA (KCCI) -Iowa Department of Health officials said Tuesday that prepackaged salad mix is the likely source of the recent cyclospora outbreak.
On Monday, 143 confirmed cases of cyclospora had been reported in Iowa. Steven Mandernach, chief of the Food and Consumer Safety Bureau of the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals, said epidemiological data and food history interviews conducted with ill Iowans links a bagged salad mix with the foodborne illness.
"The evidence points to a salad mix containing iceberg and romaine lettuce, as well as carrots and red cabbage as the source of the outbreak reported in Iowa and Nebraska," Mandernach said.
"Iowans should continue eating salads as the implicated prepackaged mix is no longer in the state’s food supply chain."
The investigation found an exposure to a common prepackaged salad mix from a single source in approximately 80 percent of the cases.
Officials have not named a specific brand name in the investigation.
"Because it can take more than a week for the first symptoms to appear after ingesting the contaminated food, there wasn't a product on the shelf to be examined for the parasite. As a result, most of the foodborne illness investigation focused on trying to trace-back suspected food products through the food chain," Mandernach said.
Iowa health officials continue to work with local health departments, other states, Centers for Disease Control and FDA on the investigation.