- Youth Programs Try to Reach the Masses
- Women Shelter Opening in Cedar Rapids
- Eastern Iowa OT Scores
- Breakthrough in Iowa Hot Lotto Case
- Voices of Diversity: West Branch HS First Female Football Player
- A Good 'Season' to Join Yoga Studio
- Man Guilty in Pipe Dreamz Case
- Former IA Teacher Charged in Sex Case
- IA Judge to Rule on Oil Pipeline
- UI and UNI Top for Employer Value
- Judge to Rule on Mental Health Closings
- IC Based Fraternity Involved in AZ Shooting
- Body Cam Forum Addresses Privacy Issues
- Former Officer Turns Himself In
- Flights Diverted After DSM Airport Blackout
- Waterloo Worker Injured in Trench Collapse
- Fatal Shooting at AZ College
- Your Voice, Your Future Townhall: Connects Against Crime
- Oxford Gas Leak Prompts Evacuations
- UI Sexual Assault Report Increase
- Standlee Pleads Not Guilty
- Fire Happened "In the Blink of an Eye"
- Missing Cobra Found
- Hajj Death Toll Skyrockets
- Gov. Branstad Visits Marion
- JOCO Health Officials Draft Report
- Selena Gomez Battling Lupus
- McCarthy Withdraws from GOP Speaker Race
- North Liberty Company Expanding
- France Train Hero Stabbed in CA
- Iowa Fashion Project Launch Party at FilmScene
- Fugitive With Ties to Iowa on the Run
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate Carly Fiorina on Russia, Putin and other Republicans
- Privatizing Medicaid Savings Estimated
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate John Kasich on Syria, Russia and ACA
- No-kill Shelter Raffling off Gun
- Prison Officials Considering Tech Upgrades
- Dems Preparing Legislation to Curb Guns
- Clinton Turns Benghazi Ad To Her Side
- Coast Guard Ends Search For Crew
- Charges Filed After SUV Hits Home
- Fill the Boot Check Presentation
- Mayflower Hall Brings Back IOWA Tradition
- Iowa's Best Tasting Water Is In...
- Increase in Population, Increase in Violence?
- Iowa City Music Tradition Uncertain Future
- Created in the Corridor: Light Awake
- RAYGUN Coming to Cedar Rapids
- Trump in Waterloo
- Tronca Sentenced to Life in Prison
Officials Still Searching For Tuber Who Fell Into Cedar River
Updated: Monday, July 15 2013, 08:42 PM CDT
BLACK HAWK COUNTY, IA (CBS 2/FOX 28)--Officials are still searching for a man who went missing after falling into the Cedar River while tubing yesterday evening.
They say the accident happened about 6:30 p.m. in black hawk park.
Officials had about two hours to search last night before losing daylight.
They were back at it early this morning and this afternoon brought in some special equipment.
A dozen family and friends waited all day at black hawk park waiting for news, any kind of news.
"I'm hoping that they find him on a sandbank or on the side or something and they boat him back here," said friend Crystal Klein.
The man, friends say, is 19 year old Andre Tims of Waterloo.
Officials say the man went tubing with friends, and at some point floated into a brushy area.
That’s when the currents flipped his tube Sunday afternoon, and he went under.
“We have some people that saw him hands come back a couple of times above the river level they went towards where he was at, went down and then they couldn't find him," said Chief deputy Rick Abben of Black Hawk County.
"I know there were five of them and one person jumped in trying to get him but they couldn't grab him. He hit a faster current they said," Klein said.
After a night, and now a day of unsuccessful search efforts, authorities brought in a boat equipped with side-scan sonar.
"We're hoping that he is in that area not too far from where he was last seen and so the sonar will be able to tell us that so that we can continue with the operation," said Chief Abben.
Officials say this is now more a recovery operation than a rescue, but friends say they still have hope.
"I love Andre he's a good friend of mine and I just want him to be safe," said Klein.
Authorities point out this might have been prevented: the victim couldn't swim, and was not wearing a life jacket.