- BMW Driver Identified In Police Shooting
- Iowan Sees Controversy As Opportunity
- Rubio Announcement Coming April 13
- Clinton Advisers Traveling To Iowa
- Man Drinks 36 beers, slams into house
- UPDATE: Man Shot By Police Identified
- Volunteers Explore Opportunities
- Airport to be Iowa's First Super Park
- Local Reaction to New Cancer Treatment
- Linn County to Offer Free STI Testing
- Winneshiek County Gathers Info on Sand
- House Panel Approves Adoption Leave Bill
- IA Senate Panel OKs Strip Search Bill
- Missing Cedar Rapids Man
- Stocks Surge on Spending Signs
- Branstad Seeks To Boost STEM Education
- 1 Killed in Incident at NSA
- New Empty IA Prison Records
- Efforts to Find Plane Crash Victims Continues
- Waterloo Has Highest Jobless Rate for IA Metros
- Trevor Noah Named 'Daily Show' Host
- Fiorina Almost Ready to Run
- Going Meatless on Mondays
- Mandatory Age To Stop Driving
- Car Goes into Marshalltown House
- 1 Killed in Clayton County Crash
- 2 Killed in PA Plane Crash
- Air Canada Plane Skids Off Runway
- BMW in Officer Involved Shooting
- Hwy. 30 Work to Begin
- Lawmakers Wish to Change Health Benefits
- UI Opens New Pediatric Clinic
- Boston Officer in Coma After Shooting
- Spring Break Turns Violent in FL
- Kittens Found Dumped in Trash Bin
- Pilots Inspire Girl Scouts To Fly
- 15th Annual Arc March in CR
- Farmers Asked to Breed No-Horn Cows
- 2 Iowa Farm Workers Hospitalized
- Knox Conviction Overturned, Again
- Pink Chicken Mystery Solved
- Concern Over Future State History
- Man Sentenced in Waterloo Toddler's Death
- Hawkeye Women Inspire Next Generation
- Special ACA Enrollment for Some
- What's Stealing Your Sleep?
- Woman Sentenced in Fake Birth Case
- Man Sentenced for Heroin Trafficking
- Threatening Letter Sent to Bar
New Name in Congressional Race
Updated: Wednesday, October 2 2013, 08:52 AM CDT
CEDAR FALLS, Iowa (AP) -- Cedar Falls legislator Walt Rogers says he will seek the Republican nomination for Iowa's 1st Congressional District.
In announcing his candidacy Tuesday, Rogers called for creating a "smaller, smarter government."
Rogers was elected to the Iowa House in 2010 and served as an assistant majority leader.
Cedar Rapids businessman Steve Rathje and Dubuque businessman Rod Blum also are seeking the GOP nomination, and former Cedar Rapids Mayor Paul Pate is expected to announce his candidacy soon.
The 1st District seat is open because incumbent Democratic Rep. Bruce Braley is running for U.S. Senate.
The district includes 20 northeast Iowa counties.
Five candidates are vying for the Democratic nomination.
2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.