- CR Crime Stats Frustrate Police
- Service Dog Awareness From Viral Post
- Vernon Inn To Be Demolished Soon
- Iowa City Man Victim of Email Hack
- KY Clerk Wants Online Marriage Licenses
- U.S. Markets Close Modestly Lower
- Police Release Robbery Suspect Description
- College Readiness Report, Hispanics Behind
- Iowa Officials Promote Travel Deals
- Industry Report: Room for Improvement
- Cosby Admission Released
- Iowa City Converting Streetlights
- Shelly Johns Sentenced
- Pres. Forums on Minority Communities
- Corridor City Most Expensive to Live
- Iran Demands Lifting of Arms Embargo
- Rain, Crash Disrupt Daytona
- Kunis and Kutcher Tie The Knot
- Grateful Dead Tops Record
- No Evidence of Gunshot at Walter Reed
- Greece More Likely to Leave Eurozone
- CR Police Investigate Shooting
- Branstad Explains Budget Decisions
- Vietnam Vets Exhibit in Waterloo
- Two Waterloo Inmates Missing
- Montrose Adds Auxiliary Officers
- Greek Finance Minister Resigns
- ROAD TRIPPIN': Summer Sounds of Cedar Rapids
- Rubio Visiting IA This Week
- Box Office Fizzles Over Long Holiday
- POLL: Parties Split on Key Issues
- Football Vs Soccer In The Corridor
- Frankie House Preparing for Move
- CR Municipal Band Entertains Audiences
- Cars on Display at Newbo Market
- U.S. Defeats Japan 5-2 in World Cup Final
- David Sweat Returned to Prison
- Remembering Cedar County's Heroes
- 'No' Vote in Greece
- USDA Offers Funding for Farmers Markets
- Boy Injured by Falling Bullet
- Child Drowns in Mississippi River
- Officials Catch Escaped Iowa Inmate
- Fireworks Light up the CR Sky
- 14 Hurt in Deck Collapse
- Blatter Blames World Leaders for Corruption
- Progress Made in Iran Nuclear Deal
- Fireworks Show Injures 9 in Colorado
- Bush Takes Trump Comments Personally
- DSM Police Investigating Fake Shooting Report
New Name in Congressional Race
Updated: Wednesday, October 2 2013, 08:52 AM CDT
CEDAR FALLS, Iowa (AP) -- Cedar Falls legislator Walt Rogers says he will seek the Republican nomination for Iowa's 1st Congressional District.
In announcing his candidacy Tuesday, Rogers called for creating a "smaller, smarter government."
Rogers was elected to the Iowa House in 2010 and served as an assistant majority leader.
Cedar Rapids businessman Steve Rathje and Dubuque businessman Rod Blum also are seeking the GOP nomination, and former Cedar Rapids Mayor Paul Pate is expected to announce his candidacy soon.
The 1st District seat is open because incumbent Democratic Rep. Bruce Braley is running for U.S. Senate.
The district includes 20 northeast Iowa counties.
Five candidates are vying for the Democratic nomination.
2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.