- IC Transient Faces Robbery Charge
- Cop-Killer had Previous Mental Evaluation
- Hometown Mourns Killed Journalists
- Local Hops Harvest Begins
- Efforts to 'Keep the Music Rollin' in CR
- Legal Experts: No Criminal Trouble for Clinton
- Wildfire Consumes Parts of Spain
- Planes Clip Wings in Oakland
- Newark Airport Evacuated Sunday Night
- Broadband will Reach 90,000 More
- Work on UI President's Home and Office
- Train Hits and Kills IA Man
- Plenty of Controversy at VMA's
- General Mills sets Ambitious Goal
- Trump Leads Register Poll
- IA Waterpark Losing Money
- Gov. Brastad 28th in Salary
- ROAD TRIPPIN': Pionnering Womens' Rights
- Cubs Throw Pajama Party After No-Hitter
- Fourth UI Presidential Finalist Named
- Obama Renames America's Tallest Mountain
- Horror Legend Wes Craven Dead at 76
- Your Thoughts On Regular Joe As President
- Get Moving for Healthy Kids
- Residents Celebrate HWY 965 Reopening
- Onslow Fire Dept. Needs New Building
- 3rd UI Presidential Candidate Announced
- One Dead After Waterloo Shooting
- Florida Braces for Erika
- Arrest Made in TX Officer Slaying
- Cedar Rapids Explores First Farmer's Market After Dark
- Iowa Poll: Sanders Closing in on Clinton
- CRPD Investigating Early Morning Shooting
- ICPD Investigating Downtown Robbery
- Cedar Falls Police Open Drug Drop-Off
- HSFB: Rain, Rain, and More Rain
- Soul Food: Hot Commodity at Iowa Soul Fest
- 10 Years Later: Remembering Katrina
- Voices of Diversity: 2015 Iowa Soul Fest
- ICPD Looking for Theft Victims
- Man Dies in Grain Bin Accident
- Preventing Sports Injuries
- No Appeal in Telemedicine Abortion Ruling
- Coral Ridge Mall Shooting Trial Moved
- Review Of Iowa's Criminal Justice Practices
- Remembering Armstrong's 'Family Ties'
- Review Finds Coach Pressured Players
- Group Agrees Memorial Endorses Religion
- Anti Catcalling Campaign at UI
- MidAmerican Building Wind Farms
Johnson County Mandatory Evacuations
Updated: Tuesday, June 4 2013, 07:52 AM CDT
IOWA CITY, Iowa (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- When the water isn't knee deep at River front estates...
"It's a beautiful view, its a beautiful place to be, its beautiful recreational opportunities in Johnson county," resident Diane Thayer said.
Diane Thayer owns a part time home in the River front neighborhood, but the only way she and others can get out there now is by boat.
"Residents as you can see in the background have boats here so they will take brief trips to their houses to see what's happening there," Thayer said.
The neighborhood is one of several in Johnson County under mandatory evacuation, because of scenes like the one over on Izaak Walton Road where river is gushing into the road.
"Things are gonna get better, they always do, gotta look for the bright side," resident Larry Hugen said.
Its perspective you may say he has earned.
"[It's] my fourth flood," Hugen said. "I think in 91 it came over our road...2008 was the worst"
Back in the early 90's he built his home higher, essentially flood proofing it.
"It's only got 2 1/2 foot of water in the garage, so I'm not concerned with that," Hugen said.
He is still searching for his pets, however.
"I'm still missing two out of five cats."
All he and others can do now is wait until the water recedes.
"You don't know all the time what's happening there, that's almost worse than knowing what is happening," Thayer said.