- Farmers Asked to Breed No-Horn Cows
- 2 Iowa Farm Workers Hospitalized
- Knox Conviction Overturned, Again
- Pink Chicken Mystery Solved
- Concern Over Future State History
- Man Sentenced in Waterloo Toddler's Death
- Hawkeye Women Inspire Next Generation
- Special ACA Enrollment for Some
- What's Stealing Your Sleep?
- Woman Sentenced in Fake Birth Case
- Man Sentenced for Heroin Trafficking
- Threatening Letter Sent to Bar
- DQ Demolition Affecting 7th Ave. Traffic
- E. Iowan Charged With Bank Embezzlement
- Linn Co. To Charge Cities For Dispatch
- CRPD Charge Man with Attempted Murder
- Highway 965 Traffic Altered
- Winnebago Expanding to Waverly
- Man Hits Woman and Her Dog, Takes Car
- Unemployment Down in Iowa
- Waterloo PD Investigate Shooting
- House Passes Funeral Protest Limits
- Hy-Vee Requests Tax Credits
- Democrat Senate Leader Retiring
- Developmental Disabilities Month
- What's Stealing Your Sleep?
- Census Data Shows Iowa Growth
- Discussing Gambling Addiction
- Business Fire In Ely
- New Development Project In NewBo
- CR Foreclosure Rate Dropping
- African Families Day at Hoover Elementary
- GOP Hopefuls Coming to Iowa
- One Killed After Semi Hits Bridge
- Ted Cruz to Visit Cedar Rapids
- CR City Budget Appealed
- Medical Marijuana Bill Advances in Senate
- DBQ Man Charged for Kidnapping Attempt
- 2 Your Finances
- Census Shows Growth in DSM, Iowa City
- Mentally Ill Seniors Transferred to Nursing Homes
- Men's Cardio Fitness Tied to Cancer Risk
- Basketball Players to Meet Globetrotter
- Bond Doubled for Stigler
- Prison Contractor Wants More Money
- CLAIM: France Plane Crash Intentional
- Saudi Arabia Intervenes in Yemen
- Germanwings Pilot Was Locked Out Of Cockpit
- Severe Weather Kills 1 In Oklahoma
ISP Trooper Injured by Drunk Driver
Updated: Tuesday, July 16 2013, 09:26 PM CDT
Photo Courtesy: Iowa State Patrol
IOWA CITY (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- An Iowa State Patrol trooper was injured Tuesday after being struck by a drunk driver, and a second trooper was involved in an accident while responding to the first trooper's accident.
The Iowa State Patrol says Trooper Cody Kammeyer was in the crossover on I-80 near Iowa City doing radar speeding enforcement when he was struck from behind by 23-year-old Johnathon Daniel McFall of West Des Moines. Witnesses say McFall veered into the median in which Kammeyer was sitting. A follow-up investigation found McFall was intoxicated when he struck the trooper's car and he has been charged with OWI, reckless driving and improper use of lanes. Kammeyer was taken to a local hospital in Iowa City where he was treated for minor injuries and later released.
Meanwhile, Trooper Paul Nowak was responding to Kammeyer's accident with lights and siren when his car was struck on West Post Road in Cedar Rapids. No one was injured and no citations were injured.
54 state patrol officers across the nation have been killed in the line of duty so far this year, 20 of them killed in traffic collisions or involved in vehicular assault.
In a written statement, Colonel David W. Garrison, chief of the Iowa State Patrol asked motorists to "Please exercise care when driving, and prepare for your interactions with police and EMS vehicles as well as towing and recovering professionals."