- Is it Time To Ban Trophy Hunting?
- Shots Fired at CR Home
- B-29 Bomber Puts on Performance
- Rummage in the Ramp Diverts Items
- Cedar Rapids Unveils Protected Bike Lanes
- 2nd American Suspected in Lion Hunt
- Memphis Officer Fatally Shot
- Church Explosions Under Investigation
- Some Say Iowa Politics Becoming Combative
- Carriage Glow Celebrated
- Fish-O-Rama Participants Cast a Line
- Dream Factory Chapter Opens
- Heart Walk Celebrated
- Back to School Supplies
- Iowan Raising Money for Nepal
- Penford Workers Reject Contract Offer
- Wildfire Claims Firefighter's Life
- Aircraft Part Arrives in France
- Inmates Moved to New Fort Madison Prison
- Crash Reported at Hawkeye Downs
- Sales Tax Holiday Set for Next Weekend
- Phone Scam Targets ISU Students
- Police Searching for Work Release Escapee
- Judge Dismisses DSM Speed Camera Lawsuit
- Paul: Planned Parenthood & Federal Funding
- Paul: Viral Campaigns
- Boys & Girls Battling Hunger
- Mission of Hope Closed Friday & Saturday
- Shooting Investigation Needs Cooperation
- IC Animal Center Prepares to Move
- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper Dead at 61
- Ground Broken for "The Depot"
- Police: Man Stole $20K From Domino's
- Community to "Take Back the Trails"
- Venomous Spider Found in School
- Ebola Vaccine "Highly Effective"
- Search for Missing Teens Suspended
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate Rand Paul talks Planned Parenthood, viral campaign videos, ISIS and running for the White House
- Father Injected Son with Heroin
- More Clinton Emails Released
- Handgun Contract Headache Continues
- Mother Hopes Cold Case gets Solved
- Truck Crashes into McDonald Optical
- Three Injured in Wloo Shooting
- Rosetta Probe Discovers New Compounds
- Confederate Flags Outside MLK Church
- Mom Drove Drunk With Six Kids in SUV
- Video: Moments Before Theater Attack
- IA Police Pursuit Deaths Down
- Beijing to Host 2022 Winter Olympics
ISP Trooper Injured by Drunk Driver
Updated: Tuesday, July 16 2013, 09:26 PM CDT
Photo Courtesy: Iowa State Patrol
IOWA CITY (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- An Iowa State Patrol trooper was injured Tuesday after being struck by a drunk driver, and a second trooper was involved in an accident while responding to the first trooper's accident.
The Iowa State Patrol says Trooper Cody Kammeyer was in the crossover on I-80 near Iowa City doing radar speeding enforcement when he was struck from behind by 23-year-old Johnathon Daniel McFall of West Des Moines. Witnesses say McFall veered into the median in which Kammeyer was sitting. A follow-up investigation found McFall was intoxicated when he struck the trooper's car and he has been charged with OWI, reckless driving and improper use of lanes. Kammeyer was taken to a local hospital in Iowa City where he was treated for minor injuries and later released.
Meanwhile, Trooper Paul Nowak was responding to Kammeyer's accident with lights and siren when his car was struck on West Post Road in Cedar Rapids. No one was injured and no citations were injured.
54 state patrol officers across the nation have been killed in the line of duty so far this year, 20 of them killed in traffic collisions or involved in vehicular assault.
In a written statement, Colonel David W. Garrison, chief of the Iowa State Patrol asked motorists to "Please exercise care when driving, and prepare for your interactions with police and EMS vehicles as well as towing and recovering professionals."