- Crash Reported at Hawkeye Downs
- Judge Dismisses DSM Speed Camera Lawsuit
- Paul: Planned Parenthood & Federal Funding
- Paul: Viral Campaigns
- Boys & Girls Battling Hunger
- Mission of Hope Closed Friday & Saturday
- Shooting Investigation Needs Cooperation
- IC Animal Center Prepares to Move
- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper Dead at 61
- Ground Broken for "The Depot"
- Police: Man Stole $20K From Domino's
- Community to "Take Back the Trails"
- Venomous Spider Found in School
- Ebola Vaccine "Highly Effective"
- Search for Missing Teens Suspended
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate Rand Paul talks Planned Parenthood, viral campaign videos, ISIS and running for the White House
- Father Injected Son with Heroin
- More Clinton Emails Released
- Handgun Contract Headache Continues
- Mother Hopes Cold Case gets Solved
- Truck Crashes into McDonald Optical
- Three Injured in Wloo Shooting
- Rosetta Probe Discovers New Compounds
- Confederate Flags Outside MLK Church
- Mom Drove Drunk With Six Kids in SUV
- Video: Moments Before Theater Attack
- IA Police Pursuit Deaths Down
- Beijing to Host 2022 Winter Olympics
- Former Healthcare Worker Sentenced
- Three Hit in Shootings
- A New Tool for A Growing Problem
- "Overalls All Over" is Back
- Jim Gilmore Enters GOP Race
- CBJ Report: July 30th
- Woman on Bike Fatally Hit by Car
- IC Ranks No. 1 for Successful Aging
- "Duck Race" Winners Head to Florida
- Robillard Hopes for Smooth Transition
- Volunteers Clean Wapsi River
- Lottery Sales Up
- 2 Your Finances
- Branstad Hires New Chief of Staff
- Spieth May Skip 2016 John Deere Classic
- Police: Shootings in Dubuque Up
- Iowa-Iowa State Basketball Game Moved
- Hunting Club Suspends Lion Killer's Membership
- Activists Block Ship by Hanging Off Bridge
- Fight Night in Cedar Rapids
- Magician Can't Use Doves at State Fair
- Board of Regents Hires COO
Iowa Rodeo Clown Senteced to Prison for Drugs
Updated: Thursday, May 30 2013, 06:14 PM CDT
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) --
A professional rodeo clown has been sentenced to 20 years in federal prison for growing marijuana in rural Iowa for several years.
U.S. District Judge Linda Reade announced Thursday the sentence of 55-year-old Roy Meeks, of Marion. He was given a special assessment of $100.
Meeks, who worked as a rodeo clown and bullfighter in local and national rodeos, was convicted in March of one count of conspiracy to manufacture marijuana. He was acquitted on a second charge.
Prosecutors say Meeks conspired with others to plant marijuana along corn and soybean fields in secluded spots in Jones County. He is accused of tending the plants throughout the summer then harvesting and processing them.
Prosecutors say Meeks was involved in growing more than 1,000 marijuana plants between 2004 and 2011.
2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.