- Circus Tent Collapse Kills Two
- Homeowner Fights for Home After Complaint
- Golf, Music, Nannies Among New Business Startups
- Coral Ridge Shooting: Lawyers Need More Time
- Cat Dies in Cedar Rapids House Fire
- Operation Releaf Underway in North Liberty
- Senate Blocks Effort to Defund Planned Parenthood
- Sen. and Comedian Team Up on Gun Control
- Police Arrest 101 ‘Johns’
- Man Drowns Whilte Saving Son
- Money Raised for Missing Teen Boaters
- Disaster Declaration Approved
- Coe, Mt. Mercy Part of Iowa Private College Week
- Illinois Now Top Party School
- Holmes Eligible for Death Penalty
- Suspect Dead in Oakland Shooting
- Conditions Improve for Firefighters
- Delve Turns Art Into Fabric
- Branstad Touts Iowa STEM Education
- Park Service Shelves Blistering Report
- Lotto Winner Reflects on Win
- Deputies Hurt During Arrest
- ROAD TRIPPIN': Downtown Mt. Pleasant
- Tornado Rips Through Southern IA
- VP Biden Still Considering 2016 Run
- Deadly Davenport Shooting
- Is it Time To Ban Trophy Hunting?
- Shots Fired at CR Home
- B-29 Bomber Puts on Performance
- Rummage in the Ramp Diverts Items
- Cedar Rapids Unveils Protected Bike Lanes
- 2nd American Suspected in Lion Hunt
- Memphis Officer Fatally Shot
- Church Explosions Under Investigation
- Some Say Iowa Politics Becoming Combative
- Carriage Glow Celebrated
- Fish-O-Rama Participants Cast a Line
- Dream Factory Chapter Opens
- Heart Walk Celebrated
- Back to School Supplies
- Iowan Raising Money for Nepal
- Penford Workers Reject Contract Offer
- Wildfire Claims Firefighter's Life
- Aircraft Part Arrives in France
- Inmates Moved to New Fort Madison Prison
- Crash Reported at Hawkeye Downs
- Sales Tax Holiday Set for Next Weekend
- Phone Scam Targets ISU Students
- Police Searching for Work Release Escapee
- Judge Dismisses DSM Speed Camera Lawsuit
Iowa River Flooding Small Town of Koszta
Updated: Wednesday, May 29 2013, 10:29 PM CDT
KOSZTA, IA (CBS2/FOX28) - The small, unincorporated town of Koszta has a big problem.
"A lot of it is just fear of not knowing what's going to happen," resident Teresa Claeys said.
Claeys is bracing herself, as the Iowa River knocks on her front door.
"So far we haven't had water in the house, our garage has water in it."
With the water creeping up halfway to her knees, even the task of getting to work in the morning has been made more difficult.
"There's just not been anybody out and about, we've seen a few trucks in passing but everybody's just stayed put or they're not here," Claeys said.
Larry Schafbuch has watched the scene unfold in his neighborhood.
"It's just bad, that's all I can say," Schafbuch said. "I mean there's a lot of people losing a lot of stuff."
As far as his property goes, he's not panicking.
"I knew it was flooded here so I built my house up, it don't bother me."
He actually spent Wednesday afternoon planting peppers outside his home.
"It'll be good if it rains on them and everything," Schafbuch said.
The same rain that helps the peppers grow could affect his livelihood, but he's confident from where he sits.
I've never seen it this high and I don't think it will get this high...but I could be wrong."
With more rain on the way, to some the future of tiny Koszta is in doubt.
"I have a feeling we're all going to be gone from here, and I'm just not sure what we'll come back to when we get back,"Claeys said.
According to forecasts, the Iowa River near Koszta is expected to crest at 20.2 feet at 7pm Thursday.