- Urban Farm Camp Underway In CR
- 'Black Kids Play Too' Rally in IC
- Johnson County Fair Opening Day
- Local Church Launches Literacy Initiative
- History Behind Tournament of Drums
- $1.5M Spent On Nitrate Removal
- Tournament of Drums Returns to CR
- Brown "Numb" After Daughter's Death
- Boston Ends Campaign for 2024 Olympics
- Woman Attacked, Killed by Dogs
- Search Continues for Teen Boaters
- La Porte City Woman Facing Charges
- Layoffs Coming to John Deere
- Clinton Talks Climate Change in DSM
- Obama Seeks Deal on South Sudan
- Bulger Attorneys Ask Court to Overturn Conviction
- POLL: Branstad Losing Ground
- Raising Money for Special Field
- Sheriff's Office Searching for Car Thief
- Crews Investigate Fire at UI
- Checkin' Out the Czech Village
- Lyme Disease in Iowa
- Boy Scouts to End Ban on Gay Leaders
- New Pi Releases First Beer
- Missing Cousins Case Not Cold
- IA National Guard Member Drowns
- Woman Tells ADA Story Through Hillary Clinton
- Woman Kills Alleged Serial Killer
- Bobbi Kristina Brown Passes Away
- What Is A Fair Minimum Wage In Iowa?
- Shear Madness Now Playing
- Woof, Wag & Wine Helps Animal Shelter
- 2 Dead After I-80 Crash
- Bird Flu Meeting Planned
- UPDATE: Amber Alert Cancelled, Child Safe
- Wrapping Up RAGBRAI
- Special Class Reunion for Hayes Elementary
- St. Luke's Receives New Cancer Treatment Tool
- Clinton to Testify About Benghazi
- Couple Celebrates 25th Anniversary of ADA together
- Former Hawkeye Shot at Ohio Home
- One Airlifted to Hospital After Crash
- Trump Bans DSM Register from Event
- Getting Ready for Day 7 of RAGBRAI
- RAGBRAI Riders Helping Butterflies
- Surveillance Video Shows Teen Arrest
- Fieldhouse Moving To New Location
- Does This Caterpillar Have a Face?
- Coralville RAGBRAI Rainy Start
- Disability Doesn't Stop RAGBRAI Rider
IA Connected to Gay Marriage Order
Updated: Tuesday, August 19 2014, 10:48 PM CDT
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- A federal judge has ruled Indiana must recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states but says the ruling doesn't take effect until the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals rules on the matter.
U.S. District Judge Richard Young decided Indiana must recognize the marriage of Michelle and Shannon Bowling of Indianapolis, who were married in Polk County, Iowa, on Jan. 18, 2011. Shannon Bowling is employed by the Indiana Department of Correction, and couple sued to seek state benefits for Michelle Bowling and her children from a previous relationship.
The 7th Circuit is scheduled to hear oral arguments next week on the state's appeal of a previous ruling by Young throwing out Indiana's same-sex marriage ban.
The Indiana attorney general's office says it had sought the stay that Young granted.
2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.