- UI Venture School Returns
- Connolly Sentenced Thursday
- A New Ferentz
- Docs Indicate Murder a Random Act
- Next Navy Submarine Named USS Iowa?
- Second Reading for Rooftop Ordinance Ok'd
- Obama Secures Votes to Protect Iran Deal
- Hearings Start for Baltimore Officers
- Santorum First to All 99 Counties
- Name Released in Train Death
- VP Biden to Appear on New Late Show
- Attacks on Android Devices Rising
- UPDATE: Arrest Made In DBQ Death
- How old is your heart?
- KY Clerk Still Refusing Marriage Licenses
- Layoffs at John Deere
- CR Making Changes in ADA Settlement
- Highland CSD Faces Technology Problems
- Linn Co., Hobart Close on Mott Bldg.
- McDonald's To Serve All-Day Breakfast
- Got History? The History Center Needs You!
- Library Levy on November Ballot
- Photos Show Disappearing Coastline
- Cross Country Course Opens
- Hospital Cost Balloons
- Doldrums Ahead for Midwest Economy
- Vineyard Stabbing
- Sex Offender Says Charge is Political
- Iowans Held Without Bail
- "Whopslam" Coming Soon?
- Companies Claim Flawed Medicaid Bidding
- Pope Changes Rules on Abortion
- Fairfax Home Damaged in Early Morning Fire
- KY Clerk Won't Issue Gay Marriage Licenses
- HIV Transmission Suspects Enters Plea
- Sen. Baldwin Stumps For Clinton In Iowa
- Perry to Keep One Staffer in Iowa
- Alleged UI Athletics Gender Bias
- CR Schools Focus on Mental Health
- IDPH: Mosquitoes Still a Threat
- 3rd Sexual Assault Reported at UI
- IC Transient Faces Robbery Charge
- Cop-Killer had Previous Mental Evaluation
- Hometown Mourns Killed Journalists
- Local Hops Harvest Begins
- Efforts to 'Keep the Music Rollin' in CR
- Legal Experts: No Criminal Trouble for Clinton
- Wildfire Consumes Parts of Spain
- Planes Clip Wings in Oakland
- Newark Airport Evacuated Sunday Night
Former U.S. Attorney Announces Senate Bid
Updated: Monday, June 3 2013, 02:56 PM CDT
ANKENY, Iowa (AP) -- Iowa Republican Matt Whitaker is officially announcing his plans to run for U.S. Senate in 2014.
Speaking Monday at a news conference in Ankeny, the former U.S. attorney announced he would seek the seat being vacated by retiring five-term Democratic Sen. Tom Harkin. Whitaker says he wants to reduce government spending and "restore our country to greatness."
The 43-year-old former University of Iowa football player from Clive was U.S. attorney for Iowa's Southern District from 2004 to 2009. He ran unsuccessfully for state treasurer in 2002.
Republican David Young, who was U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley's top aide, also says he'll seek the seat. Other Republicans considering running include state Sen. Joni Ernst and former Reliant Energy CEO Mark Jacobs.
Democratic Rep. Bruce Braley of Waterloo is his party's only candidate.
2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.