- 2nd American Suspected in Lion Hunt
- Memphis Officer Fatally Shot
- Church Explosions Under Investigation
- Some Say Iowa Politics Becoming Combative
- Carriage Glow Celebrated
- Fish-O-Rama Participants Cast a Line
- Dream Factory Chapter Opens
- Heart Walk Celebrated
- Back to School Supplies
- Iowan Raising Money for Nepal
- Penford Workers Reject Contract Offer
- Wildfire Claims Firefighter's Life
- Aircraft Part Arrives in France
- Inmates Moved to New Fort Madison Prison
- Crash Reported at Hawkeye Downs
- Sales Tax Holiday Set for Next Weekend
- Phone Scam Targets ISU Students
- Police Searching for Work Release Escapee
- Judge Dismisses DSM Speed Camera Lawsuit
- Paul: Planned Parenthood & Federal Funding
- Paul: Viral Campaigns
- Boys & Girls Battling Hunger
- Mission of Hope Closed Friday & Saturday
- Shooting Investigation Needs Cooperation
- IC Animal Center Prepares to Move
- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper Dead at 61
- Ground Broken for "The Depot"
- Police: Man Stole $20K From Domino's
- Community to "Take Back the Trails"
- Venomous Spider Found in School
- Ebola Vaccine "Highly Effective"
- Search for Missing Teens Suspended
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate Rand Paul talks Planned Parenthood, viral campaign videos, ISIS and running for the White House
- Father Injected Son with Heroin
- More Clinton Emails Released
- Handgun Contract Headache Continues
- Mother Hopes Cold Case gets Solved
- Truck Crashes into McDonald Optical
- Three Injured in Wloo Shooting
- Rosetta Probe Discovers New Compounds
- Confederate Flags Outside MLK Church
- Mom Drove Drunk With Six Kids in SUV
- Video: Moments Before Theater Attack
- IA Police Pursuit Deaths Down
- Beijing to Host 2022 Winter Olympics
- Former Healthcare Worker Sentenced
- Three Hit in Shootings
- A New Tool for A Growing Problem
- "Overalls All Over" is Back
- Jim Gilmore Enters GOP Race
Flood Evacuations Underway in New Hartford Area
Updated: Tuesday, May 28 2013, 05:08 PM CDT
NEW HARTFORD (CBS 2/FOX 28) - Butler County officials say about 15 people have evacuated their homes in the New Hartford area due to an increasing threat from flood waters.
County emergency management director Mitch Nordmeyer tells CBS 2/FOX 28 the evacuations were requested Monday morning after water from the Beaver Creek threatened to top a county road three miles west of town.
"That road acts as a levee," says Nordmayer "and if the water gets over it the town could have some serious trouble."
Early Monday morning volunteers began sandbagging the road, hoping to stop the flood waters.
"Most of those who have evacuated are special needs people," Nordmayer says, "people who would need a little extra time to get to safety."
The American Red Cross has set up a temporary evacuation shelter in Shell Rock, about 13 miles north of New Hartford.
As of 11:30 a.m. Monday, the evacuations had not been made mandatory Nordmayer says.
Additionally, state Highway 57 on both sides of Parkersburg were closed by flood waters as was Highway 14 just north of Parkersburg.
Check back for the latest details.