- Fmr ISU Basketball Player Turns Himself in
- DBQ Death Investigation
- Your Solution To Mass Shootings
- Vets THRIVE Needs Sponsors, Volunteers
- UAW Ratifies Agreement with Deere
- Broncos Slip Past Vikings
- Four-Year-Old Killed in ATV Crash
- Branstad's Anti-Bullying Office Raises Questions
- Downtown DM YMCA Goes Down
- Mammoth Recovered in Michigan
- More Crops But Lower Prices
- New Details Released in Oregon Shooting
- Get Out the Vote Event for CR Public Library
- Especially for You Race Sunday
- Clinton Wins Big Labor Union Endorsement
- Search Continues For Ship in Hurricane
- Eastern Iowa OT Scores
- Quick Response From Hospital After Crash
- Obama: Tally Shootings vs. Terrorist Attacks
- Hurricane Joaquin as seen from Space
- College Shooting Victims Identified
- UPDATE: Three Arrested in CR Chase
- Youth Police Academy for CR Students
- CR Store Treasures the Trash
- OR Shooter's Weapons Bought Legally
- Fire Strikes Two Fairfax Homes
- Spates Imprisoned for Girl's Death
- U.S. Hiring Slows
- Vatican Distances Pope From Kim Davis
- London Looking for NFL Team
- Calls for Beer Band to Clean Up
- Escaped Boa Costs Owner
- Most Mumps Cases in IA at UI
- School Bus Involved in Crash
- "No Quick Fix" for Criminal Justice System
- One Month To JoCo Wage Increase
- Kasich: Focused on Iowa
- Kasich: A Different Voice in 2016
- CBJ Report: October 1st
- 10 Dead in Oregon Comm. College Shooting
- Robillard Speaks On State Of UI
- Experts Support Secret Juvy Records
- Trump Hotels Hacked
- City Loses Only Grocery Store
- Details of IL Officer Death Released
- Netanyahu Criticizes Iran Deal at UN
- Man and Daughter Save Neighbors from Fire
- IA Couple Sentenced for Enticement
- Slowdown Predicted for Midwest Economy
- Not Guilty Plea Filed in CR Murders
Flood Evacuations Underway in New Hartford Area
Updated: Tuesday, May 28 2013, 05:08 PM CDT
NEW HARTFORD (CBS 2/FOX 28) - Butler County officials say about 15 people have evacuated their homes in the New Hartford area due to an increasing threat from flood waters.
County emergency management director Mitch Nordmeyer tells CBS 2/FOX 28 the evacuations were requested Monday morning after water from the Beaver Creek threatened to top a county road three miles west of town.
"That road acts as a levee," says Nordmayer "and if the water gets over it the town could have some serious trouble."
Early Monday morning volunteers began sandbagging the road, hoping to stop the flood waters.
"Most of those who have evacuated are special needs people," Nordmayer says, "people who would need a little extra time to get to safety."
The American Red Cross has set up a temporary evacuation shelter in Shell Rock, about 13 miles north of New Hartford.
As of 11:30 a.m. Monday, the evacuations had not been made mandatory Nordmayer says.
Additionally, state Highway 57 on both sides of Parkersburg were closed by flood waters as was Highway 14 just north of Parkersburg.
Check back for the latest details.