- Sen. Baldwin Stumps For Clinton In Iowa
- Perry to Keep One Staffer in Iowa
- Alleged UI Athletics Gender Bias
- CR Schools Focus on Mental Health
- IDPH: Mosquitoes Still a Threat
- 3rd Sexual Assault Reported at UI
- IC Transient Faces Robbery Charge
- Cop-Killer had Previous Mental Evaluation
- Hometown Mourns Killed Journalists
- Local Hops Harvest Begins
- Efforts to 'Keep the Music Rollin' in CR
- Legal Experts: No Criminal Trouble for Clinton
- Wildfire Consumes Parts of Spain
- Planes Clip Wings in Oakland
- Newark Airport Evacuated Sunday Night
- Broadband will Reach 90,000 More
- Work on UI President's Home and Office
- Train Hits and Kills IA Man
- Plenty of Controversy at VMA's
- General Mills sets Ambitious Goal
- Trump Leads Register Poll
- IA Waterpark Losing Money
- Gov. Brastad 28th in Salary
- ROAD TRIPPIN': Pionnering Womens' Rights
- Cubs Throw Pajama Party After No-Hitter
- Fourth UI Presidential Finalist Named
- Obama Renames America's Tallest Mountain
- Horror Legend Wes Craven Dead at 76
- Your Thoughts On Regular Joe As President
- Get Moving for Healthy Kids
- Residents Celebrate HWY 965 Reopening
- Onslow Fire Dept. Needs New Building
- 3rd UI Presidential Candidate Announced
- One Dead After Waterloo Shooting
- Florida Braces for Erika
- Arrest Made in TX Officer Slaying
- Cedar Rapids Explores First Farmer's Market After Dark
- Iowa Poll: Sanders Closing in on Clinton
- CRPD Investigating Early Morning Shooting
- ICPD Investigating Downtown Robbery
- Cedar Falls Police Open Drug Drop-Off
- HSFB: Rain, Rain, and More Rain
- Soul Food: Hot Commodity at Iowa Soul Fest
- 10 Years Later: Remembering Katrina
- Voices of Diversity: 2015 Iowa Soul Fest
- ICPD Looking for Theft Victims
- Man Dies in Grain Bin Accident
- Preventing Sports Injuries
- No Appeal in Telemedicine Abortion Ruling
- Coral Ridge Mall Shooting Trial Moved
Flood Evacuations Underway in New Hartford Area
Updated: Tuesday, May 28 2013, 05:08 PM CDT
NEW HARTFORD (CBS 2/FOX 28) - Butler County officials say about 15 people have evacuated their homes in the New Hartford area due to an increasing threat from flood waters.
County emergency management director Mitch Nordmeyer tells CBS 2/FOX 28 the evacuations were requested Monday morning after water from the Beaver Creek threatened to top a county road three miles west of town.
"That road acts as a levee," says Nordmayer "and if the water gets over it the town could have some serious trouble."
Early Monday morning volunteers began sandbagging the road, hoping to stop the flood waters.
"Most of those who have evacuated are special needs people," Nordmayer says, "people who would need a little extra time to get to safety."
The American Red Cross has set up a temporary evacuation shelter in Shell Rock, about 13 miles north of New Hartford.
As of 11:30 a.m. Monday, the evacuations had not been made mandatory Nordmayer says.
Additionally, state Highway 57 on both sides of Parkersburg were closed by flood waters as was Highway 14 just north of Parkersburg.
Check back for the latest details.