- Call For FDA Review Of Cosmetics Ingredients
- Tax Credits for CR Flood Recovery Projects
- Marion Names Superintendent Finalists
- 1 Killed in Cedar Falls Crash
- CONSUMER ALERT: Blue Bell Creameries
- Dog Flu "Definite Possibility" in Iowa
- Ed. Leaders Discuss New Learning Model
- State Administrator Leaves in Shakeup
- Remembering a Friend and Co-worker
- CR Traffic Cam Appeal Documents Released
- 5.3 Mil. Chickens to be Killed Due to Bird Flu
- Town Deals with Resignations
- Mom Gets Life in Prison for Killing Babies
- Kraft Ditching Dyes In Mac & Cheese
- Students Dive into Minnow Tank
- Amazing Mother Daughter Reunion
- A Stroll Through History
- US Warship Prepares To Block Iran Weapons
- IA Spending More on Road Repairs
- Alliant Energy Adds Bird Protection
- 4/20 Celebrated in Mile High City
- CNN/ORC Poll Finds Tight Race
- Names Released in Urbandale Deaths
- Branstad: City Plan A Mistake
- Another Fence Jumping Incident at WH
- Ethiopia’s Lelisa Desisa Wins Boston Marathon
- Former DM Police Officer Found Dead
- Engaging Victims, Empowering Victims
- Iowa DOT Spending Plans
- Probe Prepares for Final Mission
- Were You Healthier Than Your Kids
- 3 Injured in University Cookout Shooting
- Residents Return Home Following Wildfire
- Thousands Turn Out for CBS 2 Your Health Expo
- Eat Drink Local Week Kicks Off
- Oklahoma City Marks 20 Years
- UIHC Celebrates Organ Donations
- Friends, Witnesses React to City Employee's Death
- Mayor Proclaims Money Smart Week
- Iowa City Police Investigate Dog Bite
- Jail Time Could be Eliminated in Dubuque
- Questions Raised Over Changes in Medicaid
- Heavy Rains Pound Texas
- Big GOP Names Meet in New Hampshire
- Weapons Investigation Leads to Arrests
- 1 Critically Injured in Motorcycle Crash
- CR City Worker Dies Following Crash
- 3 Stabbed in Hiawatha Mobile Home
- IA Filmmaker Uses Movie to Voice Opinion
- Gyrocopter Pilot Driving Home
Flood Evacuations Underway in New Hartford Area
Updated: Tuesday, May 28 2013, 05:08 PM CDT
NEW HARTFORD (CBS 2/FOX 28) - Butler County officials say about 15 people have evacuated their homes in the New Hartford area due to an increasing threat from flood waters.
County emergency management director Mitch Nordmeyer tells CBS 2/FOX 28 the evacuations were requested Monday morning after water from the Beaver Creek threatened to top a county road three miles west of town.
"That road acts as a levee," says Nordmayer "and if the water gets over it the town could have some serious trouble."
Early Monday morning volunteers began sandbagging the road, hoping to stop the flood waters.
"Most of those who have evacuated are special needs people," Nordmayer says, "people who would need a little extra time to get to safety."
The American Red Cross has set up a temporary evacuation shelter in Shell Rock, about 13 miles north of New Hartford.
As of 11:30 a.m. Monday, the evacuations had not been made mandatory Nordmayer says.
Additionally, state Highway 57 on both sides of Parkersburg were closed by flood waters as was Highway 14 just north of Parkersburg.
Check back for the latest details.