- Canadian Wildfires Causing Issues in IA
- CR Crime Stats Frustrate Police
- Service Dog Awareness From Viral Post
- Vernon Inn To Be Demolished Soon
- Iowa City Man Victim of Email Hack
- KY Clerk Wants Online Marriage Licenses
- U.S. Markets Close Modestly Lower
- Police Release Robbery Suspect Description
- College Readiness Report, Hispanics Behind
- Iowa Officials Promote Travel Deals
- Industry Report: Room for Improvement
- Cosby Admission Released
- Iowa City Converting Streetlights
- Shelly Johns Sentenced
- Pres. Forums on Minority Communities
- Corridor City Most Expensive to Live
- Iran Demands Lifting of Arms Embargo
- Rain, Crash Disrupt Daytona
- Kunis and Kutcher Tie The Knot
- Grateful Dead Tops Record
- No Evidence of Gunshot at Walter Reed
- Greece More Likely to Leave Eurozone
- CR Police Investigate Shooting
- Branstad Explains Budget Decisions
- Vietnam Vets Exhibit in Waterloo
- Two Waterloo Inmates Missing
- Montrose Adds Auxiliary Officers
- Greek Finance Minister Resigns
- ROAD TRIPPIN': Summer Sounds of Cedar Rapids
- Rubio Visiting IA This Week
- Box Office Fizzles Over Long Holiday
- POLL: Parties Split on Key Issues
- Football Vs Soccer In The Corridor
- Frankie House Preparing for Move
- CR Municipal Band Entertains Audiences
- Cars on Display at Newbo Market
- U.S. Defeats Japan 5-2 in World Cup Final
- David Sweat Returned to Prison
- Remembering Cedar County's Heroes
- 'No' Vote in Greece
- USDA Offers Funding for Farmers Markets
- Boy Injured by Falling Bullet
- Child Drowns in Mississippi River
- Officials Catch Escaped Iowa Inmate
- Fireworks Light up the CR Sky
- 14 Hurt in Deck Collapse
- Blatter Blames World Leaders for Corruption
- Progress Made in Iran Nuclear Deal
- Fireworks Show Injures 9 in Colorado
- Bush Takes Trump Comments Personally
Flood Evacuations Underway in New Hartford Area
Updated: Tuesday, May 28 2013, 05:08 PM CDT
NEW HARTFORD (CBS 2/FOX 28) - Butler County officials say about 15 people have evacuated their homes in the New Hartford area due to an increasing threat from flood waters.
County emergency management director Mitch Nordmeyer tells CBS 2/FOX 28 the evacuations were requested Monday morning after water from the Beaver Creek threatened to top a county road three miles west of town.
"That road acts as a levee," says Nordmayer "and if the water gets over it the town could have some serious trouble."
Early Monday morning volunteers began sandbagging the road, hoping to stop the flood waters.
"Most of those who have evacuated are special needs people," Nordmayer says, "people who would need a little extra time to get to safety."
The American Red Cross has set up a temporary evacuation shelter in Shell Rock, about 13 miles north of New Hartford.
As of 11:30 a.m. Monday, the evacuations had not been made mandatory Nordmayer says.
Additionally, state Highway 57 on both sides of Parkersburg were closed by flood waters as was Highway 14 just north of Parkersburg.
Check back for the latest details.