- Judge Dismisses DSM Speed Camera Lawsuit
- Paul: Planned Parenthood & Federal Funding
- Paul: Viral Campaigns
- Boys & Girls Battling Hunger
- Mission of Hope Closed Friday & Saturday
- Shooting Investigation Needs Cooperation
- IC Animal Center Prepares to Move
- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper Dead at 61
- Ground Broken for "The Depot"
- Police: Man Stole $20K From Domino's
- Community to "Take Back the Trails"
- Venomous Spider Found in School
- Ebola Vaccine "Highly Effective"
- Search for Missing Teens Suspended
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate Rand Paul talks Planned Parenthood, viral campaign videos, ISIS and running for the White House
- Father Injected Son with Heroin
- More Clinton Emails Released
- Handgun Contract Headache Continues
- Mother Hopes Cold Case gets Solved
- Truck Crashes into McDonald Optical
- Three Injured in Wloo Shooting
- Rosetta Probe Discovers New Compounds
- Confederate Flags Outside MLK Church
- Mom Drove Drunk With Six Kids in SUV
- Video: Moments Before Theater Attack
- IA Police Pursuit Deaths Down
- Beijing to Host 2022 Winter Olympics
- Former Healthcare Worker Sentenced
- Three Hit in Shootings
- A New Tool for A Growing Problem
- "Overalls All Over" is Back
- Jim Gilmore Enters GOP Race
- CBJ Report: July 30th
- Woman on Bike Fatally Hit by Car
- IC Ranks No. 1 for Successful Aging
- "Duck Race" Winners Head to Florida
- Robillard Hopes for Smooth Transition
- Volunteers Clean Wapsi River
- Lottery Sales Up
- 2 Your Finances
- Branstad Hires New Chief of Staff
- Spieth May Skip 2016 John Deere Classic
- Police: Shootings in Dubuque Up
- Iowa-Iowa State Basketball Game Moved
- Hunting Club Suspends Lion Killer's Membership
- Activists Block Ship by Hanging Off Bridge
- Fight Night in Cedar Rapids
- Magician Can't Use Doves at State Fair
- Board of Regents Hires COO
- CR Nonprofit Trimming Services
Flood Cleanup Underway in Buchanan Co.
Updated: Friday, May 31 2013, 01:48 PM CDT
INDEPENDENCE, IA (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- Flood waters are begin to recede across many parts of Buchanan County Friday. Below is an update from county leaders on their efforts to clean up the damage:
Flood clean-up is underway in Buchanan County. Flood clean-up kits can be obtained from the Independence Fire Station at 113 4th Avenue SE while supplies last. Iowa State University Extension, Buchanan County Office flood clean-up informational packets can be picked up at the same site. The packets give clear guidance regarding clean-up of flood water. Properly cleaning up flood water alleviates the risk of future environmental problems such as black mold. Additional resources for proper flood clean up include:
Bottled water for those who do not have clean water in their homes and bleach for clean-up in the flooded areas has been donated by Wal-Mart stores. These are located at the Independence Fire Station, also.
Do not drink water from a flooded well unless it has been properly disinfected and then tested for drinking safety. Call the Buchanan County Environmental Health Department at 319-334-2873 for the following:
1. List of Certified Well Contractors in the area;
2. Instructions on how to properly shock chlorinate your well;
3. Free Water Sample to assure your water is drinkable.
For more detailed information concerning flooded wells please visit the following link:
Emergency Management again highly discourages sightseeing to avoid congestion in areas where residents are trying to clean-up and to travel gravel roads in the county cautiously due to wash-outs. Avoid areas marked by barricade or flag. If you note an unmarked area please report to the Buchanan County Roads Department at 319-334-6031 and ideally mark to warn others.
Refer to Buchanan County Emergency Management website at www.buchananem.com for updates.