- UI Opens New Pediatric Clinic
- Boston Officer in Coma After Shooting
- Spring Break Turns Violent in FL
- Kittens Found Dumped in Trash Bin
- Pilots Inspire Girl Scouts To Fly
- 15th Annual Arc March in CR
- Farmers Asked to Breed No-Horn Cows
- 2 Iowa Farm Workers Hospitalized
- Knox Conviction Overturned, Again
- Pink Chicken Mystery Solved
- Concern Over Future State History
- Man Sentenced in Waterloo Toddler's Death
- Hawkeye Women Inspire Next Generation
- Special ACA Enrollment for Some
- What's Stealing Your Sleep?
- Woman Sentenced in Fake Birth Case
- Man Sentenced for Heroin Trafficking
- Threatening Letter Sent to Bar
- DQ Demolition Affecting 7th Ave. Traffic
- E. Iowan Charged With Bank Embezzlement
- Linn Co. To Charge Cities For Dispatch
- CRPD Charge Man with Attempted Murder
- Highway 965 Traffic Altered
- Winnebago Expanding to Waverly
- Man Hits Woman and Her Dog, Takes Car
- Unemployment Down in Iowa
- Waterloo PD Investigate Shooting
- House Passes Funeral Protest Limits
- Hy-Vee Requests Tax Credits
- Democrat Senate Leader Retiring
- Developmental Disabilities Month
- What's Stealing Your Sleep?
- Census Data Shows Iowa Growth
- Discussing Gambling Addiction
- Business Fire In Ely
- New Development Project In NewBo
- CR Foreclosure Rate Dropping
- African Families Day at Hoover Elementary
- GOP Hopefuls Coming to Iowa
- One Killed After Semi Hits Bridge
- Ted Cruz to Visit Cedar Rapids
- CR City Budget Appealed
- Medical Marijuana Bill Advances in Senate
- DBQ Man Charged for Kidnapping Attempt
- 2 Your Finances
- Census Shows Growth in DSM, Iowa City
- Mentally Ill Seniors Transferred to Nursing Homes
- Men's Cardio Fitness Tied to Cancer Risk
- Basketball Players to Meet Globetrotter
Fiery Crash On I-80 Sends Several To Hospital
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 01:14 PM CDT
UPDATE: Iowa State Patrol say two people were injured in a crash on I-80 near Williamsburg on Tuesday.
Troopers say 55 year old Jerry Sturdevant of Eagleville, MO didn't notice traffic stopped from a previous accident. His vehicle and trailer hit a semi, and a Kia Optima. Both Sturdevant's vehicle, and the semi caught fire.
Sturdevant, and the driver of the Kia were treated for their injuries. Police say both lives were saved by using seat belts.
IOWA COUNTY, IA (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- Late Tuesday evening, you could still smell the smoke in the air at mile marker 205 on I-80 westbound, about 30 miles west of Iowa City. That is where the charred remains of 2 semis sit after a fiery accident.
“I kept hearing pops and booms...you could definitely tell something was exploding,” witness Nicole Elmore said.
Elmore, who just dropped her son home at the time, caught the entire scene on her cellphone.
“There were pieces of things everywhere, so you didn't know what was gonna come at you,” Elmore said. “I was shaking the closer I got…it was a lot.”
It was an overwhelming sight for anybody traveling along the busy highway, which soon resembled a parking lot for miles.
Employees at a nearby business could hear the commotion just outside their door.
“Just boom after boom it was kinda scary actually,” witness Jacob Exline said.
Exline was among those to step out and witness the scene.
“Really big flames, like a bonfire type flame...it was huge, big black smoke,” Exline said.
He and other bystanders say one of the trailers appeared to be carrying motorcycles, and the popping noise may have been the motorcycle tires
However all concern was with the more valuable human cargo inside the two semis and the car involved.
“The one semi I saw the guy get out, but the other I didn't see anyone get out, so I don't know if he made it or not,” Exline said.
“I heard that everybody got out OK, but I really hope,” Elmore said. “I'm praying for the families.”
According to reports, 4 people were injured in the crash. Two of them were children. There’s no word yet on their condition, or the official cause of the crash.