- David Sweat Returned to Prison
- 'No' Vote Projected in Greece
- USDA Offers Funding for Farmers Markets
- Boy Injured by Falling Bullet
- Child Drowns in Mississippi River
- Officials Catch Escaped Iowa Inmate
- Fireworks Light up the CR Sky
- 14 Hurt in Deck Collapse
- Blatter Blames World Leaders for Corruption
- Progress Made in Iran Nuclear Deal
- Fireworks Show Injures 9 in Colorado
- Bush Takes Trump Comments Personally
- DSM Police Investigating Fake Shooting Report
- Kittens Thrown Out Car Window
- Hot Dog Eating Upset
- Earthquake Hits Oregon
- State Park Swimming Advisory
- Coralville Lake Boating Warning
- CRPD Investigates Stabbing, Shooting
- Ski Team Hits the Cedar River
- Cedar Boat Club Fireworks
- Sights and Sounds of Jazz Festival
- Palo Man Arrested for Stalking
- Veto Will Hurt Corridor School Budgets
- GoFundMe Created to Help Tornado Victims
- Coralville 4thFest
- Kayakers Rescued From Black Hawk Creek
- IA Man Guilty of Assaulting Officer
- Spring Into Action for Pets this July 4th
- Fancy Food Show: Foods of the Future
- Clinton Planning Eastern Iowa Visits
- LATEST: Thousands Rally in Greece
- IA School Getting Face Lift
- NBA Player Ames Grand Marshal
- Gov. Walker Announcement Coming
- New Trial For IC Man
- More Drugged Drivers on IA Roads
- Jazz Fest Underway in IC
- Lindsey Graham's Thoughts on Joe Biden
- Tanager Place Names New CEO
- Watch Out for Bed Bugs During Your Travels
- Class Action Traffic Cam Suit Thrown Out
- CBJ Report: July 2nd
- ACA Decision Hits the GOP Campaign Trail
- Gay Marriage Hits Campaign Trail
- Branstad Vetoes Funding Deals
- Senator Plans Trade Relations Trip to Cuba
- Tipton Turns 175
- History on the Move in Cedar Rapids
- First Measles Death Since 2003
Fiery Crash On I-80 Sends Several To Hospital
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 01:14 PM CDT
UPDATE: Iowa State Patrol say two people were injured in a crash on I-80 near Williamsburg on Tuesday.
Troopers say 55 year old Jerry Sturdevant of Eagleville, MO didn't notice traffic stopped from a previous accident. His vehicle and trailer hit a semi, and a Kia Optima. Both Sturdevant's vehicle, and the semi caught fire.
Sturdevant, and the driver of the Kia were treated for their injuries. Police say both lives were saved by using seat belts.
IOWA COUNTY, IA (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- Late Tuesday evening, you could still smell the smoke in the air at mile marker 205 on I-80 westbound, about 30 miles west of Iowa City. That is where the charred remains of 2 semis sit after a fiery accident.
“I kept hearing pops and booms...you could definitely tell something was exploding,” witness Nicole Elmore said.
Elmore, who just dropped her son home at the time, caught the entire scene on her cellphone.
“There were pieces of things everywhere, so you didn't know what was gonna come at you,” Elmore said. “I was shaking the closer I got…it was a lot.”
It was an overwhelming sight for anybody traveling along the busy highway, which soon resembled a parking lot for miles.
Employees at a nearby business could hear the commotion just outside their door.
“Just boom after boom it was kinda scary actually,” witness Jacob Exline said.
Exline was among those to step out and witness the scene.
“Really big flames, like a bonfire type flame...it was huge, big black smoke,” Exline said.
He and other bystanders say one of the trailers appeared to be carrying motorcycles, and the popping noise may have been the motorcycle tires
However all concern was with the more valuable human cargo inside the two semis and the car involved.
“The one semi I saw the guy get out, but the other I didn't see anyone get out, so I don't know if he made it or not,” Exline said.
“I heard that everybody got out OK, but I really hope,” Elmore said. “I'm praying for the families.”
According to reports, 4 people were injured in the crash. Two of them were children. There’s no word yet on their condition, or the official cause of the crash.