- Mount Mercy Student to Unveil Nepal Art
- Sanders Says He Needs $40 Million
- Who Took Johnny Gosch Documentary
- Funds for Ashton
- Royal Baby Girl Welcomed in London
- Huge Rallies Expected in Baltimore
- Officials Searching for Escaped Inmate
- Names Released in Death Investigation
- High Schools Host Post-Prom Parties
- Newbo Music Festival Generates Buzz
- Operation Overnight Applications Open
- Traffic Scandal Guilty Plea
- Warner Works to Complete Habitat Home
- CBS2/FOX28 Tests Viral App
- Retired Generals Fight for Health in School
- Body Camera Video: NY Officers Save Family
- Officers Charged in Gray's Death
- Iowa In State Of Emergency Over Bird Flu
- Complaints Bring Change to Iowa City Apartments
- Branstad Signs 14 Bills into Law
- Cedar Falls Releases RAGBRAI Plans
- Hoover and WWI Lessons
- More Wind Farms Coming to Iowa
- Sales Tax Hike Moves On
- 2 Hurt in Marion Crash
- Tenth Chalk the Walk
- Slow Economic Growth in Midwest
- Students Rally To Take Back The Night
- Bird Flu Hotline Available To Iowans
- Five More Bird Flu Cases In Iowa
- Authentic Neapolitan Pizza Oven In E. Iowa
- Eastern Iowa Community Survey
- School Budget Gridlock Leads to Layoffs
- Al Gore Visiting Cedar Rapids
- Veterans Welcomed Home 40 Years Later
- CBJ Report: April 30th
- This Is My Brave Coming to Coralville
- Silent Disease: Osteoporosis and Men
- State of Emergency Over Bird Flu
- CR School Closes Due To Illness
- IA Horse Stable Tries for Kentucky Derby WIn
- Police: Facebook Post likely Prompted Attack
- DPS Workers on Leave Amid Inquiry
- Names Released in Deadly Crash
- Pedestrian Killed in Dubuque
- 2 Your Finances
- Rayhons Thanks Former Co-workers
- IA Woman Accused of Flashing Workers
- IA Religous Leaders Want Prison Reform
- Arrest in UI Bathroom Camera Case
Fiery Crash On I-80 Sends Several To Hospital
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 01:14 PM CDT
UPDATE: Iowa State Patrol say two people were injured in a crash on I-80 near Williamsburg on Tuesday.
Troopers say 55 year old Jerry Sturdevant of Eagleville, MO didn't notice traffic stopped from a previous accident. His vehicle and trailer hit a semi, and a Kia Optima. Both Sturdevant's vehicle, and the semi caught fire.
Sturdevant, and the driver of the Kia were treated for their injuries. Police say both lives were saved by using seat belts.
IOWA COUNTY, IA (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- Late Tuesday evening, you could still smell the smoke in the air at mile marker 205 on I-80 westbound, about 30 miles west of Iowa City. That is where the charred remains of 2 semis sit after a fiery accident.
“I kept hearing pops and booms...you could definitely tell something was exploding,” witness Nicole Elmore said.
Elmore, who just dropped her son home at the time, caught the entire scene on her cellphone.
“There were pieces of things everywhere, so you didn't know what was gonna come at you,” Elmore said. “I was shaking the closer I got…it was a lot.”
It was an overwhelming sight for anybody traveling along the busy highway, which soon resembled a parking lot for miles.
Employees at a nearby business could hear the commotion just outside their door.
“Just boom after boom it was kinda scary actually,” witness Jacob Exline said.
Exline was among those to step out and witness the scene.
“Really big flames, like a bonfire type flame...it was huge, big black smoke,” Exline said.
He and other bystanders say one of the trailers appeared to be carrying motorcycles, and the popping noise may have been the motorcycle tires
However all concern was with the more valuable human cargo inside the two semis and the car involved.
“The one semi I saw the guy get out, but the other I didn't see anyone get out, so I don't know if he made it or not,” Exline said.
“I heard that everybody got out OK, but I really hope,” Elmore said. “I'm praying for the families.”
According to reports, 4 people were injured in the crash. Two of them were children. There’s no word yet on their condition, or the official cause of the crash.