- Florida Braces for Erika
- Arrest Made in TX Officer Slaying
- Cedar Rapids Explores First Farmer's Market After Dark
- Iowa Poll: Sanders Closing in on Clinton
- CRPD Investigating Early Morning Shooting
- ICPD Investigating Downtown Robbery
- Cedar Falls Police Open Drug Drop-Off
- HSFB: Rain, Rain, and More Rain
- Soul Food: Hot Commodity at Iowa Soul Fest
- 10 Years Later: Remembering Katrina
- Voices of Diversity: 2015 Iowa Soul Fest
- ICPD Looking for Theft Victims
- Man Dies in Grain Bin Accident
- Preventing Sports Injuries
- No Appeal in Telemedicine Abortion Ruling
- Coral Ridge Mall Shooting Trial Moved
- Review Of Iowa's Criminal Justice Practices
- Remembering Armstrong's 'Family Ties'
- Review Finds Coach Pressured Players
- Group Agrees Memorial Endorses Religion
- Anti Catcalling Campaign at UI
- MidAmerican Building Wind Farms
- 2015 Iowa Soul Festival
- Casey Audit Finds Missing Funds
- Trump "Settles Hair Issue"
- Farmers' Market: After Dark
- CRPD Working on License Plate Reader Policy
- CenturyLink Expanding Rural Broadband
- Power Co-Op to Add Solar Panels to State
- CBJ Report: August 27th
- TX Company To Pay Back Iowa Residents
- Minimum Wage Plan Clears 1st Hurdle
- Karen Fuller Joins CBS2 & FOX28 As Anchor
- Clinton Draws Controversial Parallels
- Medicaid Bidding Criticism
- Hops Farm Begins Supplying Craft Brewers
- Audit Reveals Misspent Money
- CR Chase Supect Not Located
- Hayden Fry Honored with Proclamation
- DSM Officer Not Indicted
- Iowa City Least-Stressed U.S. City
- Study Finds Peak Times for College Drug Use
- UI Names 2nd Finalist for President
- Wal-Mart Ending Assault-Style Weapon Sales
- Fire Forces Evacuation of CR Apartment
- General Mills Recalls Green Beans
- Hoover Trail Extension Meeting
- Cedar Ridge Celebrates 10 Years
- Going to the Dogs
- Trump Happy He Kicked Reporter Out
Fiery Crash On I-80 Sends Several To Hospital
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 01:14 PM CDT
UPDATE: Iowa State Patrol say two people were injured in a crash on I-80 near Williamsburg on Tuesday.
Troopers say 55 year old Jerry Sturdevant of Eagleville, MO didn't notice traffic stopped from a previous accident. His vehicle and trailer hit a semi, and a Kia Optima. Both Sturdevant's vehicle, and the semi caught fire.
Sturdevant, and the driver of the Kia were treated for their injuries. Police say both lives were saved by using seat belts.
IOWA COUNTY, IA (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- Late Tuesday evening, you could still smell the smoke in the air at mile marker 205 on I-80 westbound, about 30 miles west of Iowa City. That is where the charred remains of 2 semis sit after a fiery accident.
“I kept hearing pops and booms...you could definitely tell something was exploding,” witness Nicole Elmore said.
Elmore, who just dropped her son home at the time, caught the entire scene on her cellphone.
“There were pieces of things everywhere, so you didn't know what was gonna come at you,” Elmore said. “I was shaking the closer I got…it was a lot.”
It was an overwhelming sight for anybody traveling along the busy highway, which soon resembled a parking lot for miles.
Employees at a nearby business could hear the commotion just outside their door.
“Just boom after boom it was kinda scary actually,” witness Jacob Exline said.
Exline was among those to step out and witness the scene.
“Really big flames, like a bonfire type flame...it was huge, big black smoke,” Exline said.
He and other bystanders say one of the trailers appeared to be carrying motorcycles, and the popping noise may have been the motorcycle tires
However all concern was with the more valuable human cargo inside the two semis and the car involved.
“The one semi I saw the guy get out, but the other I didn't see anyone get out, so I don't know if he made it or not,” Exline said.
“I heard that everybody got out OK, but I really hope,” Elmore said. “I'm praying for the families.”
According to reports, 4 people were injured in the crash. Two of them were children. There’s no word yet on their condition, or the official cause of the crash.