- Center Junction Future Unclear
- Fayette County Brothers Arrested
- Driver Arrested After Driving Wrong Way
- Blue Zones Promotes Holiday Cooking
- ICPD Responds to NYC Officer Deaths
- CRPD Responds to NYC Incident
- IA Lawmaker Seeks Abortion Waiting Period
- Creative Ways to Use Holiday Leftovers
- Study: Need a Creative Boost? Grab a Beer
- Man Creates New Comic Book Short
- Iowa City Businesses Question New App
- Fire Destroys Historic Iowa Church
- Man Gets 10 Years In Iowa Heroin Case
- Branstad Appoints Bates to Regents
- Joe Cocker, Dead at 70
- Sex Abuse Case Stays in Hancock
- Police on Alert After NYC Cop Killings
- Saudi Arabia Won't Cut Oil Production
- EIHF to Receive Check
- Questions Linger About IA Juvenile Home
Dubuque Bridge Opening Early?
Updated: Thursday, July 24 2014, 10:24 PM CDT
DUBUQUE, IA (AP) - Iowa transportation officials say repairs to the Julien Dubuque Bridge are ahead of schedule, and the span across the Mississippi River could reopen sooner than expected.
The bridge, which connects Dubuque, Iowa, and East Dubuque, Illinois, closed Monday and was scheduled to reopen July 31.
However, Iowa Department of Transportation engineer Hugh Holak says good weather and the threat of stiff penalties for missing a 10-day deadline have resulted in quick work by contractor PCiRoads, of St. Michael, Minnesota.
Holak says he hopes the bridge will open "a couple days early."
The bridge work includes replacing deck joints and sealing a barrier rail.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.