- Sen. Rand Paul Visits IA
- Red Cross Volunteers Install Life-Saving Gift
- Indiana College Student Found Dead
- RAW: First District House Rep. Rod Blum Talks about Rand Paul and Carly Fiorina
- RAW: Potential Presidential Candidate Scott Walker after his meet and greet in Cedar Rapids
- RAW: Presidential Candidate Rand Paul talks about fist-bumping Harry Reid, Hillary Clinton and Young Americans for Liberty
- Hundreds Dead in Nepal Quake
- Large Crowds Expected in Baltimore
- Little Free Libraries In Hiawatha
- Cedar Rapids Budget Appeal Rejected
- Rockwell Workers Relieve Stress With Yoga
- Deadly Crashes Dropping Among Teens
- RAW NEWS: Victim's Family Speaks
- Remembering Lynnsey Donald
- Summit Attracts Big GOP Names
- Girl with Leukemia Dismissed from School
- Cedar Rapids Celebrates Arbor Day
- Walker Running on a Record
- Cedar Falls Man's Garage Sale App
- Wellington Heights Smoke Detector Giveaway
- Walker Circling Presidential Run
- Grads Lack Desired Skills
- UI Offers New Degree
- IA Man Goes to Gofundme to Follow Dream
- DOT Reviews Intersection
- Police Shooting Report Expected Soon
- Rubio Returning to Iowa
- Drake Gets Live Mascot
- Accused Teenage Murderer in Court
- Phone Outage Affecting 4 Counties
- Woman Denied $41M Jackpot Error
- Cancer Survivor Raising Awareness
- High School Stage Collapses
- Public Health Major
- "Raymond" Sitcom Actor Dead at 19
- Fighting Breast Cancer Before It Starts
- Special Gifts For Two Corridor Kids
- Fleck Sales Co. Buying Wolfe Beverage Co.
- Express Bus, Rideshare Plans Move Forward
- Black Students Rally at UI
- CBJ Report: April 23rd
- Interim UI President Approved
- Bird Flu Confirmed At Third Iowa Farm
- Emotional Recovery Following Stabbing
- Mental Health and Smart Phones
- What Makes Terrorists Tick?
- Gov. Asks Agencies to Monitor Bird Flu
- UPDATE: Woman Killed at Hy-Vee
- Multiple Crews Called to Explosion, Fire
- Petraeus Sentenced For Classified Leak
Dad Home from Afghanistan, Suprises Son at School
Updated: Wednesday, May 29 2013, 09:18 AM CDT
WATERLOO (CBS 2/ FOX 28)--10-year-old Anthony Segebarth thought he was getting ready for a school assembly Tuesday afternoon.
Instead, he got something he'd been missing for almost a year.
His father James Segebarth surprised him in front of hundreds of students at Bender Elementary school. Segebarth had been deployed to an airbase in Afghanistan since July 2012.
"I missed him since it's been a long time away from him," said the fourth grader.
Right now Anthony lives in Waterloo with his grandparents. His father, who's been back since April and lives in Montana, wanted to wait until the end of the school year to give his son a homecoming he'd never forget.
"I wanted to make it special for Anthony because it's been hard on him," Segebarth said.
Arranged by Anthony's grandfather and his fourth grade teacher, the reunion also took the airman by surprise who was greeted by signs and music, thanking him for his service.
"What a better thing to do than to surprise dad," said fourth grade teacher Alex Hansen.
"We started making banners and all sorts of stuff, the kids didn't know what it was about. They thought we were making banners for the Honor Flight."
And after close to a year of being a part, both dad and son look forward to they're favorite pastime.
"I guess we're going fishing,” Segebarth said.
Anthony will be reunited with his mom and sister in Montana by next week.