- RAW: First District House Rep. Rod Blum Talks about Rand Paul and Carly Fiorina
- RAW: Potential Presidential Candidate Scott Walker after his meet and greet in Cedar Rapids
- RAW: Presidential Candidate Rand Paul talks about fist-bumping Harry Reid, Hillary Clinton and Young Americans for Liberty
- Hundreds Dead in Nepal Quake
- Large Crowds Expected in Baltimore
- Little Free Libraries In Hiawatha
- Cedar Rapids Budget Appeal Rejected
- Rockwell Workers Relieve Stress With Yoga
- Deadly Crashes Dropping Among Teens
- RAW NEWS: Victim's Family Speaks
- Remembering Lynnsey Donald
- Summit Attracts Big GOP Names
- Girl with Leukemia Dismissed from School
- Cedar Rapids Celebrates Arbor Day
- Walker Running on a Record
- Cedar Falls Man's Garage Sale App
- Wellington Heights Smoke Detector Giveaway
- Walker Circling Presidential Run
- Grads Lack Desired Skills
- UI Offers New Degree
- IA Man Goes to Gofundme to Follow Dream
- DOT Reviews Intersection
- Police Shooting Report Expected Soon
- Rubio Returning to Iowa
- Drake Gets Live Mascot
- Accused Teenage Murderer in Court
- Phone Outage Affecting 4 Counties
- Woman Denied $41M Jackpot Error
- Cancer Survivor Raising Awareness
- High School Stage Collapses
- Public Health Major
- "Raymond" Sitcom Actor Dead at 19
- Fighting Breast Cancer Before It Starts
- Special Gifts For Two Corridor Kids
- Fleck Sales Co. Buying Wolfe Beverage Co.
- Express Bus, Rideshare Plans Move Forward
- Black Students Rally at UI
- CBJ Report: April 23rd
- Interim UI President Approved
- Bird Flu Confirmed At Third Iowa Farm
- Emotional Recovery Following Stabbing
- Mental Health and Smart Phones
- What Makes Terrorists Tick?
- Gov. Asks Agencies to Monitor Bird Flu
- UPDATE: Woman Killed at Hy-Vee
- Multiple Crews Called to Explosion, Fire
- Petraeus Sentenced For Classified Leak
- Lottery CEO: Iowa Law Stopped Fraud
- Layoffs Hit Verizon in Cedar Rapids
- The Trick That Helps Old Dogs
CR Car Theft Spike
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 01:14 PM CDT
CEDAR RAPIDS, IA (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- “I keep my keys in the ignition so I don't lose them.”
“I leave it unlocked with the keys in it so I can change clothes faster.”
“I keep my spare keys in the car in case I lock myself out.”
Police say they are the common explanations for an increasingly common issue. Some don't see them as explanations at all.
“I think they're pretty funny actually, I think they're just excuses,” resident Sean Foust said.
Sgt. Cristy Hamblin with the Cedar Rapids Police Department says unfortunately the numbers this year for car thefts are pointing up. In 2011, through the month of July, the city saw 102 stolen cars. In 2012 they saw 132. So far in 2013 there have been 145 thefts, with the most recent theft occurring on Tuesday.
“For quite a while we were getting better at securing our property, and I think we're just feeling complacent,” Hamblin said.
In a neighborhood near one of the thefts, resident Jena Fuessley says much of that complacency lies in the way many in Iowa were raised.
“Everybody knew everybody, and everybody could trust their neighbor,” Fuessley said.
However, she says changing times call for a change in old habits.
“I don't believe that it's that hard to keep your keys in a bowl or something in your house,” Fuessley said.
Even in this normally quiet neighborhood, others agree.
“Take their keys with them, just like their wallet or ID, they should always have it with them,” Foust said.
Police say if you want to have a spare key don’t keep it in your car or under your car. They say thieves are increasingly more aware of those hiding spots.
Police says there is good news. Out of the 145 cars that have been stolen this year, 87% have been recovered. However, 17 are still missing.