- Judge Dismisses DSM Speed Camera Lawsuit
- Paul: Planned Parenthood & Federal Funding
- Paul: Viral Campaigns
- Boys & Girls Battling Hunger
- Mission of Hope Closed Friday & Saturday
- Shooting Investigation Needs Cooperation
- IC Animal Center Prepares to Move
- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper Dead at 61
- Ground Broken for "The Depot"
- Police: Man Stole $20K From Domino's
- Community to "Take Back the Trails"
- Venomous Spider Found in School
- Ebola Vaccine "Highly Effective"
- Search for Missing Teens Suspended
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate Rand Paul talks Planned Parenthood, viral campaign videos, ISIS and running for the White House
- Father Injected Son with Heroin
- More Clinton Emails Released
- Handgun Contract Headache Continues
- Mother Hopes Cold Case gets Solved
- Truck Crashes into McDonald Optical
- Three Injured in Wloo Shooting
- Rosetta Probe Discovers New Compounds
- Confederate Flags Outside MLK Church
- Mom Drove Drunk With Six Kids in SUV
- Video: Moments Before Theater Attack
- IA Police Pursuit Deaths Down
- Beijing to Host 2022 Winter Olympics
- Former Healthcare Worker Sentenced
- Three Hit in Shootings
- A New Tool for A Growing Problem
- "Overalls All Over" is Back
- Jim Gilmore Enters GOP Race
- CBJ Report: July 30th
- Woman on Bike Fatally Hit by Car
- IC Ranks No. 1 for Successful Aging
- "Duck Race" Winners Head to Florida
- Robillard Hopes for Smooth Transition
- Volunteers Clean Wapsi River
- Lottery Sales Up
- 2 Your Finances
- Branstad Hires New Chief of Staff
- Spieth May Skip 2016 John Deere Classic
- Police: Shootings in Dubuque Up
- Iowa-Iowa State Basketball Game Moved
- Hunting Club Suspends Lion Killer's Membership
- Activists Block Ship by Hanging Off Bridge
- Fight Night in Cedar Rapids
- Magician Can't Use Doves at State Fair
- Board of Regents Hires COO
- CR Nonprofit Trimming Services
Amber Alert Changes
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 01:14 PM CDT
WATERLOO (CBS 2/ FOX 28)--On what would have been his daughter Elizabeth's 10th birthday, Drew Collins finds it hard to look at pictures of his little girl.
"That life is over,” Collins said teary-eyed, looking at family photos. “It's different now."
Wearing pink, Elizabeth's favorite color, Drew and heather Collins have spent the last year since her disappearance going over the “what-ifs.”
"This could have helped, when the girls went missing, if they would have put it out right away," said Heather Collins.
"It" being an Amber Alert that didn't go out when their daughter and niece Lyric Cook were kidnapped last July.
"A very high percentage of the children that are taken are murdered within the first few hours," Drew said.
Hours critical during an abduction investigation that law enforcement are now trying to stop from ever slipping away again.
"Time is of the essence in these cases,” said Charis Paulson, Director of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation. “The sooner we can get information out to the public, the sooner we can recover any abducted children."
Iowa's department of public safety has now broadened the criteria for sending out those alerts.
Now police only need a description of the suspect or their vehicle. For the past ten years, they needed both.
A change in policy the Collins say is bittersweet.
"How far do we have to take things in order to change things when it comes to our children," Heather asked.
But they say it’s a step in the right direction.
"Give the chance for a child's life to be saved," she said.