- Train Derails Near Belle Plaine
- UPDATE: One Dead After Fiery Crash
- Mission Of Hope Steps Up To Meet Need
- Vinton Family Raising Money for Son
- New Bird Flu Case in Pocahontas Co.
- "Don't Fry Day" Protect Your Skin
- Road Work Moves Forward in Cedar Rapids
- Leaders Make Progress on School Funding
- Egg Production Down in IA
- Iowa Farming…for Beer
- CR Shots Fired Arrest
- Martin O'Malley Campaigns in Iowa
- Branstad Attending Officer Orozco Funeral
- Scrabble Word Expansion
- Session-Ending Budget in the Works
- Good News for Cedar Lake
- Wanted Man Injured During Arrest
- Federal Charges in Calmar Robbery
- Grill Hotline Open for Holiday
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Tuna
- Grand Jury Indictments in Gray Case
- First Interview with Attorney General
- Flavor Flav Arrested in Vegas
- County, State Fairs Call Off Bird Events
- Safety Break on Interstate 380
- Johnson Co. Emergency Services Building
- Discussing Rooftop Dining in IC
- Holiday BBQ On A Budget
- CBJ Report: May 21st
- Hope Blooms at Kennedy High School
- Universities Join Together to Collect Debt
- Suspect in Mansion Murder Named
- BSA Leader Calls for Repeal of Ban
- ConAgra Expanding Waterloo Plant
- Huckabee Skipping Straw Poll
- Bin Laden Love Letters?
- Bacon Prices Falling
- House Passes Fireworks Bill
- Appeal in CR Gun Smuggling Case
- After Dave, What's Next for Late Night?
- Crowded Stage Expected for GOP Debates
- Police Officer Killed in Omaha
- Oil Spill Continues to Spread
- Lawmakers Spar over Education Funding
- RAGBRAI Volunteers Needed in Hiawatha
- Healthcare Experts Discourage Co-Sleeping
- Teen Faces Felony Charges for Stabbing
- CFRD Fight Fire at Paper Mill
- Looking Back at a Late Night Legend
- SPECIAL REPORT: Hope for Maggie
Abduction Survivor Gives Message of Hope to Evansdale Community
Updated: Saturday, July 13 2013, 11:15 PM CDT
EVANSDALE (CBS 2/ FOX 28)--Offering words of comfort, Alicia Kozakiewicz stood before Drew and Heather Collins and the Evansdale community, to share her story of survival.
“He had broadcasted himself abusing me to other people online” Kozakiewicz said to a crowd of hundreds who gathered Saturday to mark the one year disappearance of Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook.
In 2002, Alicia was kidnapped, raped and beaten by a man she met online. She was 13.
“I figured he was going to kill me,” she said.
Abducted from her Pennsylvania home, Alicia was taken to Virginia and kept locked and chained in a basement for four days before being rescued.
“The FBI broke in the door, cut the chain from around my neck, and gave me a second chance at life,” she said.
Now, she’s using that second chance to be a pillar of strength to those who have endured similar tragedies.
“It was just important to have her here because she’s a success story,” said Heather Collins, Elizabeth mother. “She has a powerful message out there.”
That message is to never give up.
“We cannot give up on them,” Alicia said. “We can never lose hope on a missing child.”
And to lean on one another even in the darkest hour.
“We’re victims and survivors all the same,” she said.