- Waterloo PD Investigate Shooting
- Hy-Vee Requests Tax Credits
- Democrat Senate Leader Retiring
- Developmental Disabilities Month
- What's Stealing Your Sleep?
- Census Data Shows Iowa Growth
- Discussing Gambling Addiction
- Business Fire In Ely
- New Development Project In NewBo
- CR Foreclosure Rate Dropping
- African Families Day at Hoover Elementary
- GOP Hopefuls Coming to Iowa
- One Killed After Semi Hits Bridge
- Ted Cruz to Visit Cedar Rapids
- CR City Budget Appealed
- Medical Marijuana Bill Advances in Senate
- DBQ Man Charged for Kidnapping Attempt
- 2 Your Finances
- Census Shows Growth in DSM, Iowa City
- Mentally Ill Seniors Transferred to Nursing Homes
- Men's Cardio Fitness Tied to Cancer Risk
- Basketball Players to Meet Globetrotter
- Bond Doubled for Stigler
- Prison Contractor Wants More Money
- CLAIM: France Plane Crash Intentional
- Saudi Arabia Intervenes in Yemen
- Germanwings Pilot Was Locked Out Of Cockpit
- Severe Weather Kills 1 In Oklahoma
- Saudi Arabia Launches Airstrikes In Yemen
- Linn Co. Plans Future Trails
- New Video Shows Distracted Drivers
- Support for Medicaid Oversight
- CR Council OKs Stormwater Hike
- Development Planned for Old Vigortone Site
- Court Documents Reveal Johns Steps
- IA Man Competing for Dream Job
- RAGBRAI Riders Travel Past Kinnick
- Heinz: CR Plant Not Affected by Merger
- CR Student Works to Fight Bullying
- Senate School Start Date Bill Stalls
- Longtime Hawkeye PA Announcer Passes
- Crowdfunding Trend Skyrockets
- Emerald Ash Borer Found in Clinton Co.
- UI Names Potential Interim President
- Bergdahl to be Charged with Desertion
- Elected Official Contact Info Bill Advances
- Gov. Branstad has Private Email
- Bill for Statewide Uber Regulations
- 'Star Wars' Locale Part of ISIS Fight
- Deadly Crash Includes Americans
Abduction Survivor Gives Message of Hope to Evansdale Community
Updated: Saturday, July 13 2013, 11:15 PM CDT
EVANSDALE (CBS 2/ FOX 28)--Offering words of comfort, Alicia Kozakiewicz stood before Drew and Heather Collins and the Evansdale community, to share her story of survival.
“He had broadcasted himself abusing me to other people online” Kozakiewicz said to a crowd of hundreds who gathered Saturday to mark the one year disappearance of Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook.
In 2002, Alicia was kidnapped, raped and beaten by a man she met online. She was 13.
“I figured he was going to kill me,” she said.
Abducted from her Pennsylvania home, Alicia was taken to Virginia and kept locked and chained in a basement for four days before being rescued.
“The FBI broke in the door, cut the chain from around my neck, and gave me a second chance at life,” she said.
Now, she’s using that second chance to be a pillar of strength to those who have endured similar tragedies.
“It was just important to have her here because she’s a success story,” said Heather Collins, Elizabeth mother. “She has a powerful message out there.”
That message is to never give up.
“We cannot give up on them,” Alicia said. “We can never lose hope on a missing child.”
And to lean on one another even in the darkest hour.
“We’re victims and survivors all the same,” she said.