In The Kitchen
- Summertime Melons
- Fish Oils
- Father's Day Ideas
- Kick off to Dairy Month
- Watermelon Keg
- Build a Better Burger
- Caesar Salad
- Steel Cut Oats
- Family Dinners
- Tailgate with Pork
- Plate Size
- Pizza Night
- Halloween Fun
- Pumpkin Fun
- Popcorn: A PoppinÃ¢Â€Â™ Good Snack
- More Fruits and Veggies Please
- Thanksgiving Preparations
- Hectic Holiday Snacking
- Holiday Brunch
- Festive & Flavorful Holiday Appetizers
- Stuff Your Stockings in Good Taste
- Ringing in the New Year
- Live Healthy America in Iowa!
- Blue Zones: Power 9 Principles
- Foods and Drinks to Rev You Up
- Step Up Your Game with Super Edible Bowls
- Frozen Fruits and Vegetables
- Lean Beef to Lower Cholesterol?
- Tropical Fruits
- Reduce Your Sodium
- Carrots Cousin
- It's 5 o'clock...what's for dinner?
- "Munch Madness"
- Easter Brunch
- April Food's Day
- NUTritional Snacks
- Around the World in the Aisles
- Seafood Sensations
- Mother's Day Delights
Updated: Monday, May 27 2013, 09:02 AM CDT
Hy-Vee dietitian Alicia Aguiar was "In the Kitchen" with a watermelon keg and recipes for some refeshing summer drinks!
Watermelon Wow with your Hy-Vee Dietitian on FOX-28 TV Morning News 5-27-2013
First Avenue Hy-Vee
Cedar Rapids & Marion Hy-Vee Drug Stores
Alicia Aguiar, Registered Dietitian at the First Avenue Hy-Vee Food Store and Cedar Rapids and Marion Hy-Vee Drugstores, will show viewers how to make Memorial Day memorable with a watermelon keg. The watermelon keg may be filled with delicious Agua Fresca, a naturally sweetened and refreshing beverage, dispensed directly from the watermelon. .
Alicia Aguiar, Registered Dietitian at the First Avenue Hy-Vee Food Store and Cedar Rapids and Marion Hy-Vee Drugstores, will show viewers how to make Memorial Day memorable with a watermelon keg. The watermelon keg may be filled with delicious Agua Fresca, a naturally sweetened and refreshing beverage, dispensed directly from the watermelon.
All you need:
1 medium-large oval or oblong watermelon (seeded or seedless)
Green dry erase marker or ¾- to 1-inch-thick painter’s trim tape
Channel knife (can use top of a vegetable peeler as alternative)
Large bowl & spoon or scoop
Spigot (from beer-making supply company)
Twine & straight pins
All you do:
1. Wash the watermelon under cool running water and pat dry.
2. On a cutting board, place the watermelon on its side and cut off ¼ to ½ inch from both ends, being careful not to cut too deeply into the white part of the rind. One side will provide a sturdy base.
3. Use dry erase marker or painter’s tape to make a thick band on the upper third and lower third of the watermelon that will represent the metal bands around a barrel or keg. Use the channel knife to trim away a thin line to represent those metal bands.
4. Hollow out the watermelon with a spoon or scoop, reserving the watermelon pieces and juice to make your favorite watermelon beverage. Be sure to leave about 2 inches of watermelon flesh toward the bottom of the watermelon so the spigot can be inserted into the watermelon.
5. Use an apple corer to cut a circle for your spigot to fit through the watermelon rind, placing it about 2-3 inches above the bottom of the watermelon. Screw the spigot into place.
- For added detail, carefully pin twine in your lines you’ve made to represent the metal bands around the barrel/keg. Be careful that the pins do not poke through into the barrel/keg.
- Place the barrel/keg on a saucer or plate and fill with your favorite watermelon beverage recipe.
Agua Fresca, a Spanish term for water refreshments, is popular in Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. These refreshing beverages are made from fruits blended with sugar and water to make a non-alcoholic beverage. Watermelon is naturally
All you need:
1 cup finely chopped watermelon
7 cups coarsely chopped watermelon
6 cups watermelon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1 large lime, juiced
Mint leaves (as garnish)
Cold water and ice, as needed
All you do:
Combine all ingredients in a large serving pitcher or watermelon keg. Add cold water or ice to dilute as needed. Garnish with watermelon wedges, lime wedges and mint.
Makes 12 8-ounce services. Calories: 78 Carbs: 20 grams Fat: 0 Sodium: 0
Alicia Aguiar represents Hy-Vee as a nutrition expert working throughout the community to promote healthy eating and nutrition. Alicia is a Registered Dietitian and member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.